St Moritz to Zermatt by rail – train fully booked

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 21:56:51 #816756

I wished to travel from St Moritz to Zermatt by Glacier Express, but unfortunately it is fully booked in July. I am told that I can take the same journey, along the same route as Glacier Express, by regional trains. Can anyone advise which route I should take in order to enjoy the same scenic route? I have purchased a Swiss Travel Pass and understand that it covers all train travel in Switzerland. Do I need to make any advance reservation in any of the regional trains before taking the journey? Your views will be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 22:42:57 #888825

No need for reservations in regional trains.

The route is the same as the Glacier Express train, but you will have to change trains a few times. However, in most cases the changes are convenient.

The logistics are:

Train (RhB Rhätische Bahn) St Moritz – Reichenau Tamins

change (train will be on the same island platform but will come the opposite way to the train you get off because you are reversing direction.

RhB train Reichenau Tamins – Disentis Mustér

change

Train MGB Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn) Disentis – Andermatt via the very scenic Oberalp Pass line

change

MGB train Andermatt – Visp

change

MGB train Visp – Zermatt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2018 at 14:07:01 #888826

Hi Mitrasom and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Due note that Swiss Travel Pass doesn’t cover all travel in Switzerland (but most). Read here for details and a map: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

You can use the Swiss Railways timetable to find schedules for all public transport routes: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 10:50:37 #888827

Many thanks for your detailed reply. Much helpful. Are these regional trains quite filled up during summer time or is it relatively easy to get a seat?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 10:52:23 #888828

Thanks for this. Yes I have been following this site lately, which gives very useful info about Switzerland travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 16:08:28 #888829

It is quite easy to find seats on regional trains – they depart often. The system is designed so reservations for seats aren’t needed 95% of the time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 0:15:17 #888830

I often travel in the main summer period and never have any trouble getting a seat on regional trains

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 22:22:55 #888831

Thanks for the info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 22:23:46 #888832

Thanks. I will plan accordingly.

• The thread ‘St Moritz to Zermatt by rail – train fully booked’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.