St Moritz to Zurich train route?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 11:15:44 #812249

Hello, I was wondering how long it takes and which train is best to go from st moritz to zurich. I will be staying at the romantik hotel muottas muragl and want to know the best route from there to zurich. I think I have to go to st moritz to get the train. please let me know if there is a better option. thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 6:23:24 #865060

Hi Amybeth405,

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to find your train options back to Zurich.
    The most direct/fastest route is via Samedan and Chur so you don’t need to go to St. Moritz.

What do you mean by best route? The fastest, most convenient?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 8:29:12 #865061

Hi Amybeth,

If you haven’t already done the sector between Samedan and Chur, during which the train goes over the Landwasser Viadukt, then you could take that route. That will be the default route that the SBB timetable will bring up if you put in “From Muottas Muragl” “To Zürich HB”.

If you have already travelled over that sector, you might like to consider going back a different way, following the River Inn through the Engadin, then going through the Vereina Tunnel and emerging 20 minutes later in Klosters, from where you travel through the Prättigau to Landquart and on to Zürich. During this trip, you have scenic views of mountains, meadows, forests, rivers, traditional villages, interesting station buildings and an impressive modern bridge.

I wrote a description of this alternative route, accompanied by some photos, a few months ago. If you are interested, please see my post of Feb 28, 2017 – 4:36 AM on the followig page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos

To bring this route up in the timetable, you will need to put “From Muottas Muragl” “To Zürich HB” via “Susch”.

Regardless of which route you decide to take, you will first travel from Muottas Muragl to Samedan for your connecting train. Both routes take the same amount of time.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘St Moritz to Zurich train route?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.