St Moritz to Zurich best routes/ rail pass

• JudyWong
    Participant
    24 posts
    18 May 2017 at 7:50:43 #811870

Based on SBB’s timetable, there appears to be 2 options of route for the train ride from St Moritz to Zurich. One via Landquart and the other via Chur. The one via Landquart takes slightly shorter travel journey. I believe both requires us to change train at the respective transit at Landquart or Chur. For us to choose 1 between the 2 options, appreciate advice on the following –

(1) presumably there is only one railway station in St Moritz and both train departs from the same railway station in St Moritz

(2) which is easier for us to manage in terms of changing train bearing in mind we have luggages to manage?

(3) what is the scenary for the respective route viz-a-viz, which has scenary different from the Zermatt to St Moritz via Glacier Express?

Separately, is the Swiss Half Fare Pass the same as Half Fare Travel Card, which according to SBB’s website allows holder to 50% discount to the above train ride.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback. Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 9:23:19 #863506

Hi Judy,

>> Based on SBB’s timetable, there appears to be 2 options of route for the train ride from St Moritz to Zurich. One via Landquart and the other via Chur.

Both routes go through Landquart, but only one of the routes requires a change of train there, which is the train that does not go through Chur.

>> The one via Landquart takes slightly shorter travel journey. I believe both requires us to change train at the respective transit at Landquart or Chur.

Yes, that’s right.

>> For us to choose 1 between the 2 options, appreciate advice on the following –

(1) presumably there is only one railway station in St Moritz and both train departs from the same railway station in St Moritz

Yes.

>> (2) which is easier for us to manage in terms of changing train bearing in mind we have luggages to manage?

Changing in Chur is usually done on the same platform, from one side to the other.

Changing in Landquart involves going down a ramp to the underpass and walking along to another platform and up another ramp.

Neither option is difficult.

>> (3) what is the scenary for the respective route viz-a-viz, which has scenary different from the Zermatt to St Moritz via Glacier Express?

If you arrive in St Moritz on the Glacier Express, you will have already travelled along the route from Chur to St Moritz. If you wanted to go back to Zürich a different way, the train that involves changing at Landquart is a good option.

You can find some information about this trip, and some photos, here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos

(My two posts of Feb 28)

>> Separately, is the Swiss Half Fare Pass the same as Half Fare Travel Card, which according to SBB’s website allows holder to 50% discount to the above train ride.

The “Swiss Half Fare Card” is for tourists and the “Half-Fare Travelcard” is for Swiss residents. There is nothing called the Swiss Half Fare Pass, but people might call it that informally.

If you buy a Swiss Half Fare Card, you will get 50% discount on this ride.

Alpenrose

JudyWong
    Participant
    24 posts
    23 May 2017 at 9:18:28 #863507

Hey Alpenrose

The scenary captured in those photos you shared are pictureques and awesome indeed. Thanks for sharing.

You can find some information about this trip, and some photos, here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos

(My two posts of Feb 28)

With a valid Swiss Travel Pass Flex, i believe we could take the train from St Moritz-Landquart-Zurich free of charge, right?

Is there anything else we need to do before boarding the train? I recalled reading somewhere which indicated that only for limited panoramic rides (ie Glacier Express and Bernina) which require pre-reservation at nominal fee, we simply go onboard the train and produce the pass when require by the conductor. How could we ensure that there are seats available for us for our preferred date and time of departure ? I believe for this train ride we don’t have to reserve seat, unlike the Glacier Express! In any event, this Landquart route appears to be slightly more expensive than the other route which transit at Chur. A check at SBB website appears to indicate there is one train via Landquart at 10:47am – hope we are on the right track. Thanks

Hope to hear from you soon.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 9:55:15 #863508

Hi Judy,

Yes your Swiss Travel Pass will cover that route.You can see a map of all the routes the Swiss Travel Pass Flex covers here.

Reservations are almost never made on Swiss trains (only on panoramic trains as you mention) so I wouldn’t worry about making a reservation – indeed often reservations can’t be made at all.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 3:17:40 #863509

>> Is there anything else we need to do before boarding the train?

No, except fill out your Swiss Travel Pass Flex to make this a valid travel day.

>> we simply go onboard the train and produce the pass when require by the conductor.

Yes

>> SBB website appears to indicate there is one train via Landquart at 10:47am – hope we are on the right track.

You didn’t say what date you would be travelling, but this certainly came up on the dates I checked, and would be a good option for you.

>> How could we ensure that there are seats available for us for our preferred date and time of departure ?

The first train, from St Moritz to Landquart, is a local train, and reservations cannot be made. It is very unlikely to be crowded. As it starts from St Moritz, it will probably be sitting at the platform for quite a while before it is due to depart, so if you were concerned, you could get there early and board well before departure time.

The second train, Landquart to Zürich, will probably be a long distance InterCity Express train heading to Hamburg-Altona in Germany. As it only starts from Chur (one station before Landquart) I cannot imagine that it would be crowded either. Most people probably won’t get on until Zürich.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘St Moritz to Zurich best routes/ rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.