Stanserhorn day trip from Zurich

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 1:35:49 #864230

Awesome,

Glad you had a good time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 10:09:48 #864231

Hello Lucas,

Your description is so tempting. So, if I want to choose between Mt Pilatus, Rigi and Stanserhorn , which one you suggest?

Thanks,

Binu Menon

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 16:12:41 #864232

Hi Binu,

Lucas is back on Wednesday.

In the end it’s a personal choice. What one likes might be different for you. Stanserhorn and Mt. Pilatus are quite near each other with similar views.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 0:49:41 #864233

Thanks Chantal. So, how different is Rigi compared to these two?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 May 2018 at 1:01:08 #864234

<<“Thanks Chantal. So, how different is Rigi compared to these two?”>>

http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

Lower, Less “alpine” More trails. More places to eat and walk than Pilatus.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 9:38:56 #864235

Hi Lucas

I’m visiting Swiss soon and Stanserhorn is on my list. Considering that these days it’ll be crowded, you said about the boarding pass. How does that work? Do we need to buy them even if we have Swiss pass? and if there are already long ques then how can we go wander the town?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 14:28:14 #864236

Thanks Shruti!

I think Stanserhorn is a little less known compared to the other mountains near Lucerne – it wasn’t too busy when I was there either.

If you have time after your trip please do write a trip report (with pics if you have them) here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/tripreport s

Thanks again

Shrutihegde
    Participant
    13 posts
    28 May 2018 at 12:43:24 #864237

Hey Lucas,

Sure! I intend to do that. Infact want to write about our entire Switzerland trip of 8 days which was a great success thanks to many of the tips n information we got on myswissalps.com. will write the trip report in few days 🙂

Regards

Shruti

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2018 at 14:49:56 #864238

<<“I’m visiting Swiss soon and Stanserhorn is on my list. Considering that

these days it’ll be crowded, you said about the boarding pass. How does

that work? Do we need to buy them even if we have Swiss pass? and if

there are already long ques then how can we go wander the town?”>>

Hi Rahejaparag –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

We usually ask posters to start their own new thread….easier to keep track of for you and us in the future.

However, your question is relevant to this thread.

I noticed that no one answered. I don’t know for sure, but experience tells me that with any kind of rail pass in similar circumstances,, you need to get separate ticket ( or “boarding pass”) for the mountain transport.

At a minimum it helps the keep track of their passengers.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 19:47:42 #864239

Yes, the boarding pass is extra and optional if you want it for 5chf. It has a time on it so you can wander the “village” and return for your departure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 2:18:26 #864240

>> boarding pass. How does that work? Do we need to buy them even if we have Swiss pass?

Every passenger must have a boarding pass on days of beautiful weather, when a large number of visitors are expected. This applies to everyone, regardless of what type of pass or ticket you have for the trip.

You have two options for getting it:

• At the valley station in Stans (for free).
    • Online at a cost of CHF 5. You must be able to print it out though. You can then use the printed boarding pass both for boarding at your reserved time, and as a voucher to get CHF 5 off any purchases at Restaurant Rondorama or the shop.

There is more information here:

http://www.stanserhorn.ch/en/ travel/boarding_pass/

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 6:20:30 #864241

Ha! Ours were optional and on a beautiful day but I guess they weren’t expecting a lot of visitors! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 3:18:29 #864242

Hello all

Can we book tickets to stanserhorn (or may be others like Pilatus etc) before we reach there so that we do not have to be in que once we are there?

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 6:19:26 #864243

Yes, you can buy the boarding pass I mentioned on my first post. Read more about it here: https://www.stanserhor n.ch/en/travel/boardin g_pass/

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 June 2018 at 6:29:21 #864244

At Pilatus you need to get a card with a magnetic stripe to get through the turnstiles. You have to get that at the ticket office so need to visit there. There was no queue at all at Kriens in 2nd week in June last year.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The thread ‘Stanserhorn day trip from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.