Start my vacation in Zurich or Lucerne?

• Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    11 August 2022 at 0:04:33 #828041

My wife and I are planning a 2 week vacation next month to Switzerland starting September 20th and departing October 5th. Everything is scheduled and planned and hopefully finalized. We fly into Zurich in the morning, visit the city, spend the night and proceed the next day to Lucerne for the day and night and then on to Wengen for several nights. I have read this forum every day and have done so for a couple of years. Your information and discussions have helped us a lot in our planning.

The one thing I have noticed so often with travelers itineraries is that many, many people fly into Zurich in the morning and immediately travel by train that same day to Lucerne without spending time touring Zurich. We have never been to either city. I am beginning to think that maybe we should go right onto Lucerne the day we land and perhaps spend 2 nights in Lucerne? We will be traveling back into Zurich to catch our return flight and we will be able to do some sight seeing on that day. I am anxious to hear from some Switzerland travelers if it is worth spending 1 day in each city or simply 2 days in Lucerne. I’m willing to make 1 more change to our itinerary if necessary. Thanks

Joejax

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2022 at 0:15:20 #945469

Luzern is, arguably, no more ‘interesting’ than Zurich – just with different things to see. Luzern is as much a base for touring the lakes and going up the mountains like Rigi, as it is a place to actually see things in town.

Zurich has more than one ‘mountain railway’ even within the city limits. The same cannot actually be said of Luzern! The other reason people set off immediately for Luzern is that the journey there from Zurich is so short that they think its is ‘not worth not doing that’

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    11 August 2022 at 9:04:30 #945470

Hi Joejax.

This is really a personal choice. I think Lucerne is a prettier town than Zurich, but after a 30 hour flight from Australia I just want to crash (me, not the plane) and stay a night or two before moving on. Zurich is worth some time and it’s a great introduction to Switzerland and I think people who immediately continue on to Lucerne are missing out.

Cheers

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2022 at 9:53:11 #945471

Hi Joejax,

both solutions are good, I think. It really depends on your preferences.

Zurich is a big city with all the advantages and disadvantages of it. You could easily spend a few days (maybe even a week) in Zurich and also in Lucerne.

Here you can read about the activity tips: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities and http://www.myswissalps.com/zurich/activities.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2022 at 13:53:26 #945472

‘big city’ is of course a relative term. Zurich is small compared to other world cities…

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    11 August 2022 at 18:26:48 #945473

Since you’ll be back in Zurich at the end of your trip, I think 2 nights in Luzern would be a more relaxing way to start your trip (unpacking once for two nights) and would also allow you time to perhaps visit Mt. Pilatus via the “Golden Round Trip (boat/cogwheel train up and cable car/gondola down), explore Luzern on foot, take a longer boat ride and/or perhaps visit Mt. Rigi, etc. If weather is not great one day, then perhaps the second day you’d have another chance for a mountain excursion for the views. Wishing you a wonderful trip!

teensy
    Participant
    33 posts
    12 August 2022 at 14:24:02 #945474

I agree with Lastlook. On our first trip, we went straight to Luzern and dropped luggage off at our hotel giving us enough time to visit Mt. Rigi that afternoon. We then had dinner along the waterfront in Luzern which was very nice. The next day we did a walking tour of Luzern on our own and that afternoon went to Mt Pilatus. It was a wonderful way to start the trip and a lot less intimidating than a large city like Zurich. The 2 mountains are completely different and both worth the visit.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 August 2022 at 12:13:27 #945475

Thanks to all for your valuable input! @Joejax, I hope this helps you decide.

Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    13 August 2022 at 15:50:43 #945476

Thanks to everyone for some great advice. I am able to make a much more informed decision. Leaning toward 2 nights in Lucerne.

Joejax

norcal1
    Participant
    8 posts
    13 August 2022 at 22:57:05 #945477

Hi Joejax,

We just returned from an 8-day trip in Switzerland 2 days ago and happy to share experience since I pretty much used this site for the entire trip planning. (Thank you myswissalps!)

We had 2 teenagers with us and actually took trains from Zurich airport to go straight to Wengen for the first 4 nights. Yes it took 4 trains and 3 hours, after an 11-hour plane ride from San Francisco, California, but the transfers were so easy – mostly just walk across platforms. Second half of the trip we stayed in Lucerne. We had an 1pm returning flight from Zurich airport. Staying in Wengen in the latter half risked not having enough time for train rides to get back to Zurich airport 2ish hours before departure to check-in.

Lucerne is small, calm, but a good base to explore Mt Pilatus / Rigi, take a boat ride, visit museums and the main tourist spots. We did a day trip to Zurich and felt that 1 day was enough. It is more modern, you’d see suits and ties on the street as it is a main financial district. It has luxury brand shopping too if that’s your thing. Our soccer playing teenagers enjoyed seeing FIFA museum. Lake Zurich is just as pretty as Lake Lucerne. The Old Town in both look very similar.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 August 2022 at 7:15:27 #945478

Hello norcal1! Welcome to MySwissAlps and thanks for sharing your helpful tips. Happy to hear our website has been useful while planning your trip. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Wengen and Lucerne. If you like, you could post a trip report here: https://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports

• The thread ‘Start my vacation in Zurich or Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.