Starting Bernina Express from Filisur

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 18:22:47 #811536

Surprising the wife on our honeymoon with a ride on the Bernina Express. I’m a bit confused about the reservations, though. The day we want to travel, the train departing Chur is almost entirely booked, with no window seats available. However, if I look at the same date on rbh.ch with the trip originating in Filisur, there are lots of seats available, as well as many seats on the bus from Tirano to Lugano. I’m confused by this sudden availability of several good seats at Filisur. Do they add additional cars as they pass through the other towns after Chur?

Also, if we leave Chur around the same time the Bernina express departs and head to Filisur to switch to the Bernina carriage, will we be traveling on the same route as the Bernina Express?

Thanks for you help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 18:46:15 #862132

Hi MadScot and welcome to MySwissAlps!

This is a bit hard to check without an exact date and time. In the summer there is one Bernina Express train from Chur and one from Davos, both bound for Tirano. Perhaps you are checking different trains in Filisur? They are only 40 minutes apart. E.g the one from Chur is nearly full and the other one isn’t.

There’s always the option to take another ‘standard’ train to Filisur (it’s one and the same route), and board the Bernina Express there if you get reservations.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 18:53:23 #862133

It’s June 3rd, and I was looking at the first direct Bernina Express departure from Chur at 8:32AM.

Thanks for any advice/explanation you can offer on why there’s an almost-empty carriage suddenly if I search for a Bernina Express departure from Filisur at 10:16.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 19:50:38 #862134

Ah, the 10:16 from filisur is not the same train – it’s the one from Davos.

You can either start the train from Filisur or Davos if the Chur train is full then.

be sure to read about the bernina express train routes and where to buy tickets and reservations here.

lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 20:08:39 #862135

Thanks so much for the help, Lucas. Sounds like we’ll see the best parts of the trip regardless, as long as we meet the Davos train there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 5:49:42 #862136

Yes you will! It is simple to get to Davos as well if you decide to start there as well.

Have a great trip!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Starting Bernina Express from Filisur’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.