Stay at Grindelwald vs Interlaken – suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 22:24:42 #815142

Hello folks.

We are looking at staying three nights either at Interlaken or Grindelwald from May 3rd to May6th. We are a family of 3 including a 3 year old kid. If I choose Interlaken, I was looking at staying at Gasthof Schonegg BB (100CHF /night) which is a 20 minute walk from the Interlaken OST station. This could be a problem when we first arrive in Interlaken with luggage etc, would’nt it ?

Now, if I stay in Grindlewald, would it cause an additional overhead in terms of the travel time ? Would i have more connections to take every time increasing my travel time significantly ? We are planning on covering Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn and Lauterbrunnen. Also, will my connection to be Grindelwald be covered in a Swiss Travel Pass ?

Looking for your feedback and guidance. Any advice truly appreciated.

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 6:31:15 #880965

Have you considered Wengen? Have a look at bit.ly/2GC5E5q.

Also http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can visit Schiltorn.

The map you can download from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity will tell you what is free and what is discounted with Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 8:23:26 #880966

Hi trvlbeyond1,

Have you looked through the Swiss railways timetable for connection and train timings? It does take a little more time to get to Grindelwald but not a lot. It is a nicer town than Interlaken and I’d choose it over Interlaken most of the time.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    5 April 2018 at 9:20:57 #880967

Hi.

My personal favourite is Grindelwald. Just about everything you go to the Jungfrau region for is closer to Grindelwald than Interlaken and the mountains are right in front of you. I know some people prefer either Wegen or Muerren, but you really can’t go wrong with any of them. Travelling from Interlaken adds about 30 minutes travel time to get to your listed destinations.

Have fun

Alan

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 April 2018 at 13:13:36 #880968

Hello Trvlbeyond1,

As far as I know the Gasthof you mentioned is in Goldswil, not in Interlaken. It’s indeed a 20 minute walk to the Interlaken Ost station, but I doubt if that route is very walk-able (safe). There is a river between Goldswil and Interlaken, so not many options and there may not be a pedestrian path. You’d better take the bus if you decide stay there I think. The 5 minute bus ride is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 23:40:12 #880969

Thank you so much for your replies and such valuable inputs folks. You guys are just amazing. The links to the timetable pages, the link to the other relevant threads and the other local information is all so useful.

I have decided that I will not be staying at Interlaken now for those 3 nights. Made a reservation at Central Hotel Wolter in Grindelwald (125 CHF/night) which is really close to the Grindelwald train station just now.

Thank you !

• The thread ‘Stay at Grindelwald vs Interlaken – suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.