Base town for Jungfrau, Titlis, Pilatus?

Base town for Jungfrau, Titlis, Pilatus?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
araishu
araishu
3 posts
Feb 16, 2018 - 7:55 AM

Hi,

A nice forum to discuss new travellers query.

Planning to Swizz, arrival on 6th may 2018 to Lucerne and departure by 12 may the morning flight from Geneva.

6th arrive at Lucerne from Paris with a stop at Basel sight seeing for 2/3 hours

7th Jungfrau day trip

8,9 titlis, Pilatus round trip, Rigi if possible and local sight seeing

10,11 travel to Geneva, lake cruise if possible and local sightseeing.

I need your inputs on whether Jungfrau is possible from Lucerne one day. How is the weather usually in may 1 week. Or should we opt for staying in Interlaken all the days. We are 4 families with kids, so wanted to stay in 1 place for 4 nights to avoid luggage transfer and also keeping in mind kids(around 11 years )

After going through many reviews, felt Lucerne is better for all others except Jungfrau travel. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Any beautiful place do we miss seeing in and around Interlaken bcos of staying in Lucerne.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers

Lucas
Lucas
8878 posts
expert &
Feb 16, 2018 - 9:20 AM in reply to araishu

Hi araishu and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you are correct, Lucerne is the most convenient for your plans except for the trip to Jungfraujoch. This would be about 4 hours each way plus time on the mountain. You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips.

Interlaken itself isn't particularly pretty. People here on the forum would recommend staying in a small village nearby like Grindelwald or Wengen, but your trip really focuses on the Lucerne area so I'd stay there and just decide if:

1. you want to stay in Lucerne and somewhere near Jungfraujoch (so two bases)
  2. or if you need to see Jungfraujoch at all.

Personally I'd cut out Geneva entirely and add those nights to a town like Wengen or Grindelwald.

Last modified on Feb 16, 2018 - 9:20 AM by Lucas
araishu
araishu
3 posts
Feb 16, 2018 - 9:42 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks a bunch for your inputs. Will surely discuss with others in our group. But don't want to miss Jungfrau as it is the best place in Swizz.

If we take wengen instead of lucerne as our base do you have any suggestions and itenary better than this. Do you feel still we will be able to do Pilatus Rigi and titlis from wengen

Thanks again.

Lucas
Lucas
8878 posts
expert &
Feb 16, 2018 - 1:19 PM in reply to araishu

My suggestion would be 2 bases: Lucerne and a town in the Jungfrau region (Wengen for example).

It seems like you have 7 nights? I would stay 6, 7 & 8 in Lucerne, 9 & 10 in Wengen and the 11th in Geneva or Montreux.

PS The country is Switzerland, the people are Swiss. :)

araishu
araishu
3 posts
Feb 16, 2018 - 6:08 PM in reply to Lucas

Appreciate your comments Lucas. Thank you. Will surely keep 2/3 days in Wengen. After finalizing will post for your suggestions.

* typo switz to Swizz :)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018