Place to stay for 10 AM flight from Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2018 at 21:48:23 #817721

Leaving Zermatt on Thursday after 10 am. Our Flight from Geneva on Friday at 10:55AM.

Please suggest best place to stay for one night & catch the said flight on next day by train transfer.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 August 2018 at 0:47:18 #893529

Hi Arnabghosh-

What time would you like to be at the airport?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 2:10:28 #893530

By 8 ‘o clock in the morning.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 August 2018 at 8:41:48 #893531

There are a few possibilities.

Probably, you want to take the shortest route, but, even if you do not, I’d use the same process to decide.

First, I’d remember that the timetable gives the fastest route unless you force it to different route by using a “via” option in the “advanced” timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Then, I’d look at this map:

map.search.ch/

Other maps would work, of course, but this one has the benefit that, if you zoom in to zoom level 32, the rail lines become very clear.

Near Geneva:

map.search.ch/?pos=507016,122064&z=32

or, near Zermatt:

map.search.ch/?pos=627080,100192&z=32

And, at this scale, the larger destinations become visible along the obvious route through Visp, along the the Rhone Valley , past Martigny, Montreux, Vevey, Lausanne and along the lake through Morges, Nyon, and the lakeside towns nearer Geneva. Or, Geneva in it self:

map.search.ch/?pos=598720,120576&z=4

Any of those places might be possible, although the ones nearest Zermatt are ruled out by distance.

For example, set the timetable with Genève-Aéroport as your destination, and 0800 as your arrival time.

If you do that from Martigny, there is a direct connection with no changes at 0616, arriving at 0759. If I were doing it, I’d stay closer to the airport. On that line with trains coming up from Italy, in past years, there tended to be delays

It’s not possible from Zermatt in the morning, because the route as far as Visp is a very slow mountain railway. You’d have to leave the night before. The first train in the morning ( at 0537) does not arrive until 0939 at the airport.

I do not know how early you want to get up, or what day you are traveling. I picked a random weekday in August when I used the timetable.

So, some good ideas could be Geneva, Lausanne, Montreux, Vevey, all with frequent service to the Airport.

There are hotels well above the lake all around the lake, particularly above Vevey and Montreux or further southeast. Many do not have early morning connections, unfortunately.

I once stayed at Glion, above Montreux, and took an early train to the airport. The first one, at 0635, gets you there at 0759. If you take the funicular down to the rail line at Territet, you can depart at 0545, and arrive at 0739. We stayed at a big old Victorian era hotel directly at the funicular and rail station, with great views over the lake, and cooler air at night, but we couldn’t get breakfast, because they didn’t serve breakfast until 8 AM. I’d recommend something closer, frankly. We were a bit nervous about being on time. We were, by the way. And, although the hotel was a pleasant experience, I’d not go back. I like smaller places.

And, you will be going into Geneva at rush hour if you travel on a weekday, which likely means full trains ( unless it is August…vacations) and minor delays. Workers commute into Geneva from all of those lakeside cities.

Here is some information about those major cities, all of which are on the first page of this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/cities

When I worked at Versoix, our guests would stay at Coppet, at a lakeside hotel. Unfortunately, it is no longer there. And. lakeside places tend to be expensive in that area

That is true at Nyon, as well.

If you like cities, Geneva could well be worth an afternoon and evening.

Not knowing your tastes or budget, or your date of travel, I’d suggest Geneva itself. There are frequent trains from Geneva main station ( Cornavin) to the airport. Montreux is the farthest I”d stay from the airport.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
  • The thread ‘Place to stay for 10 AM flight from Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.