Stay in Wengen 14 days or scenic train itinerary?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 June 2018 at 23:37:06 #887332

<<“Wow does this hike look interesting. Just gave it a quick look, but will spend some time with it soon. Think we will want to do this while in Luzern. September can’t come soon enough.

Kay”..

Good tohear. However, I don’t know which one you are referring to. ;-(

And,make sure that you check topos.

Slowpoke

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    9 June 2018 at 0:05:35 #887333

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the link you shared on the Swiss Path and Southern Lake Lucerne.

Kay

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 June 2018 at 0:40:55 #887334

Hi Kay –

<<“I was referring to the link you shared on the Swiss Path and Southern Lake Lucerne.

Kay”>>

Thanks. Got it.

There is a lot you can do all along the Swiss Path. Check it out on various websites.

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/hiking-in-switzerland.html

That site is hard to use, but valuable.

Watch out for altitude changes.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 22:57:24 #887335

Hi Slowpoke and Lucas,

“I think Lucas’ suggestion has a great deal of promise ( 1/2 fare + Jungfrau pass) and if I had no time to decide, I’d go with that approach. But the simple way to do it is price two STPS for the whole trip PLUS half fare cards. That will be redundant, and will leave you spending some money on half-fares for mountain transport, but if you would rather worry about whereto go rather than how to pay for it, that would set an upper limit. If that does not bother you, then go for it. If, however, it costs too much, then fall back on calculations.”

I was looking at our itinerary and thinking about all the suggestions you kindly shared with me and here are my thoughts:

a) 1/2 fare and Jungfrau Pass- $692 for Swiss Half Fare card holder – this is for 8 days and we’re in Wengen for 14 days

b) two STPs and a half fare card – do you mind sharing how the added half fare card would still help? why are 2 STPs not enough?

c) why is a half fare pass and a 15 day STP not enough?

I’m aware that all these will be guesses:) Thank you!

Joanna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 23:53:37 #887336

Hi Lucas & Slowpoke,

I forgot to mention that in total,we only have 21 days in Switzerland.

I also wanted to ask, since our trip is still at the end of August, can we buy the tickets the first week of August? They don’t “run out of seats” right?

Joanna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 June 2018 at 1:33:15 #887337

<<“I forgot to mention that in total,we only have 21 days in Switzerland.”>>

Your proposed itinerary shows 19 days ( 26.8 to 14.9)

?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 June 2018 at 1:43:31 #887338

Hi Joanna –

<<“I was looking at our itinerary and thinking about all the suggestions you kindly shared with me and here are my thoughts:

a) 1/2 fare and Jungfrau Pass- $692 for Swiss Half Fare card holder – this is for 8 days and we’re in Wengen for 14 days

b) two STPs and a half fare card – do you mind sharing how the added half fare card would still help? why are 2 STPs not enough?

c) why is a half fare pass and a 15 day STP not enough?

I’m aware that all these will be guesses:) Thank you!”>>

Option “c” was what we had in mind. The STP is weak on mountain transport and excursions. The half- fare covers the gaps, pretty much.

However, option “B” covers all bases, to the degree possible.

The issue is that STP’s cover most or all ordinary travel, but often do not provide any or only partial discount on excursion ( privately owned, usually) or mountain railways, or cableways. The Half Fare card almost always provides half fare on those.

So, you’d need the half fare card to supplement the other options. However, if your trip did not involve a lot of rail travel at, for example, the beginning, or the end, then you could use the Jungfrau pass or passes in the middle of the trip, and settle for half – fare on the other days.

That’s is the logic…only semi-quantitative (if that) , as noted.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 6:03:15 #887339

Hi Joanna,

All options can work. Doing the math will tell you which one saves you the most money. 🙂

If you don’t want to do the math I’d buy two Swiss Travel Passes to cover all your days and then pay out of pocket for the mountain trips that aren’t covered or just partially covered. This is the simplest option.

Coverage are for Swiss Travel Pass: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Online retailers STP: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

Or just buy a Swiss Half Fare Card for the whole trip and get 50% off all tickets (buy tickets for each trip as you go) Online retailers SHFC: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The thread ‘Stay in Wengen 14 days or scenic train itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.