Staying in Wengen or Grindelwald & hotel options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 18:56:39 #818977

I saw your information on hotels in wengen. I will be there june/july. I have booked hotel victoria lauberhorn but did not see this on your list. Is this convenient to train and town. Any reason it was not on your list? We will be in area to see the jungfrau….would grindewald be a better place to stay over wengen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 November 2018 at 21:43:41 #899268

Hi Swiss Trip,

Our list at http://www.myswissalps.com/we ngen/hotels shows some of the best reviewed hotels while also considering location and different price categories. It’s not a complete list of all hotels; it helps narrowing down options. I’d say that the Victoria Lauberhorn is perfectly fine. It’s close to the train station and in the center of town. Wengen is small so you’re never really far from anything.

Grindelwald and Wengen are different but both good base towns to explore the region. You can compare them here:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2018 at 0:39:26 #899269

Hi SwissTrip –

This may give you some good reading:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

This map may help you with location:

http://www.google.com/maps/pl ace/Hotel+%26+Spa+Vict oria-Lauberhorn,+Wengen/@46 .6052663,7.921208,270m /data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4 !1s0x478fa1c3ea594f01: 0xc0068ec4a701a41d!8m2 !3d46.6057818!4d7.9204 112

Grindelwald is much more spread out than Wengen, and more commercial.

Do you have specific activities in mind? Different locations might be better for specific activities.

Slowpoke

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    19 November 2018 at 1:56:54 #899270

Hi

Something I’ve noticed on this forum is that if asked, people always recommend the town they visited on their first trip. It really doesn’t matter which town you stay in during your first visit, the Oberland is a magical place and all the towns have something to offer. If youve researched Wengen, go with that. It’s a beautiful place.

Have fun

Alan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2018 at 2:13:48 #899271

Hi Alan-

<<“people always recommend the town they visited on their first trip”>>

My first trip the region was to Grindelwald in the 19080’s. I did not wish to and had not, in fact, gone back there until this last September, except to pass through on the the train to Kleine Scheidegg. In the interim, there were many intervening trips staying at Wengen. The trip in September was only to stay in Bort.

Everyone has their own tastes, and, many people don’t agree with mine. The strengths of Grindelwald don’t match my interests. Obviously, a lot of other people find that its offering matches their interests.

That’s the way it is.

There are also Lauterbrunnen and Mürren to consider, of course.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2018 at 2:36:02 #899272

Thank you all for your advise…GREATLY appreciated,.,we have decide wengen is the spot…

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    19 November 2018 at 6:14:59 #899273

Hej Swiss trip,

Just for the record, my vote would go for Wengen, for the simple reason that I prefer the Weisse Lütschine valley (the one that runs north by Lauterbrunnen) to the Schwärze Lütschine valley (the one that runs west by Grindelwald) for its physiography and scenery. I also like that Wengen is smaller than Grindelwald, is car-free, and up on a sunny terrace above Lauterbrunnen way down below. But, as has already been said, it’s all a matter of interests and tastes. You haven’t stated how long you plan to be in the area, but if you have the time, check out both valleys.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2018 at 17:52:20 #899274

<<“and up on a sunny terrace above Lauterbrunnen way down below. “>>

As in the attached, taken in a Summer month, early Fall.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Staying in Wengen or Grindelwald & hotel options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.