Steam boat reservation for Gotthard Panorama Expr

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2019 at 20:40:37 #823484

Hi, I hope this is the right place for this question. We are planning on riding the Gotthard Express from Luzern to Lugano on September 19. We have Eurail passes, which I know covers the train ride. The Eurail pass covers 50% of the boat ride. I know we have to make reservations for the Express train, but I don’t see anywhere that we can purchase tickets online for the boat portion. I know you can’t make reservations for the boat, but can you buy the tickets ahead of time? If not, what is the guarantee we will have a seat? Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2019 at 21:19:57 #920466

Hello Jpecollins and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Reservations on the paddle steamers is not possible. There is a ton of room on the boats.

You don’t need to buy tickets in advance – you could get them at any station.

If you want to buy on-line use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi). You need to use the Advanced Search an deselect all forms of transport except “Ship” and the look for Luzern to Flüelen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2019 at 23:28:25 #920467

Thank you! Another question, sorry. : ) If we make our train reservation on the swiss alps link, will it include the supplemental fee, or do we have to do that separately? Want to make sure were doing it correctly. thanks : )

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2019 at 23:29:45 #920468

Also….the date we want, Sept 19, is showing 0 seats. Thought that was odd, since it’s a Thursday, am I seeing that correctly? thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2019 at 0:25:46 #920469

I’m not sure what link you are referring to but you can buy reservations-only, at HappyRails. See attached.

I don’t know if HappyRails ticket price includes a reservation.

SBB site show CHF81 for a 1st Class ticket only. The Gotthard Panorama Express is 1st Class only. Seat reservation, which can be made here, is on top of that. Look for PE3023 departing Flüelen to Lugano via Göschenen.

If the timing of the GPEX boat and train don’t suit you then you can follow the whole route on regular boats and trains. No reservations required.

• The thread ‘Steam boat reservation for Gotthard Panorama Expr’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.