How long does the train to Brienzer Rothorn take?

• pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    9 May 2019 at 14:29:37 #821548

My wife and I will be staying in Wengen in mid September. Regarding the trip to Interlaken, then boat to Brienz, then up to Rothorn via steam train. The myswissalps page on the steam train says

”Allow at least an hour on the top to fully enjoy the views, and at least 3 hours for the full trip from Brienz. The round trip will take at least 6 hours. The steam train operates from early June to late October.”

So 2 hrs up, 1 hr at top (total 3 hrs) then 2 hrs down (same as up?). That’s 5 hrs, right? Not 6? But Interlaken to Brienz is 1+ hrs by boat. Later, train back to Interlaken (20 min). And of course trains Wengen to Interlaken ending with train back to Wengen (50 min each way). Total seems to be 8+ hrs. A full day! Am I missing anything?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 May 2019 at 14:33:23 #912018

Hi Pvonk,

3 hours is from Brienz to the top and back with an hour at the top. 6 hours is the full round trip as described under “Round trip by bus, cable car, steam train, train and boat” at http://www.myswissalps.com/br ienzerrothorn. I will change that sentence to make that more clear.

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    9 May 2019 at 14:46:59 #912019

Thanks for the clarification! 8 hours did seem like a major expedition.

Micalj
    Participant
    80 posts
    10 May 2019 at 19:52:40 #912020

Hi pvonk,

Not sure how far along the retirement path you are, but the Brienz-Rothorn offers a deal on the Tuesday AM run where they add a lunch in the restaurant on top of the mountain for the same half fare cost as those traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass would pay for the round trip (46 chf). It is only valid on Tuesdays, you must depart on the 9:40 AM train and fit the age criteria. See link below:

brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/senior-citizens-tuesday/?lang=en&lang=en

We have done the train earlier in the season to Planalp in a previous year, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but we’ll return in a few weeks (end of May, early June) and plan on doing the entire round trip with lunch at the restaurant. Hopefully we’ll have great weather. Have fun on your trip!

Mike J

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    11 May 2019 at 10:47:03 #912021

Thanks for that information. All I’d need is for the weather to cooperate!

• The thread ‘How long does the train to Brienzer Rothorn take?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.