Stechelberg and Gimmelwald transportation plans

Stechelberg and Gimmelwald transportation plans

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
suzflee
suzflee
2 posts
Jul 18, 2017 - 4:28 AM

Our family of four with two adult children will be visiting Stechelberg and Gimmelwald with 5 full days of adventure. We'd like to hike, do the Via Ferrata and go where the weather takes us but the cost of the cable cars is making me hesitant of being spur of the moment. I figure with the 4 day Berner Oberland pass to save money we'd have to spend more than 62 a day at the regular fare. If most of the trails we do start in Murren, Gimmelwald or Allmendhubel would I be correct in thinking that it would be cheaper to just pay as we go?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Lucas
Lucas
3091 posts
expert &
Jul 18, 2017 - 6:07 AM in reply to suzflee

Hi Suzflee and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you don't have set plans on the use of gondola's and cable cars etc. you may be best off with the Swiss Half Fare Card. It gets you 50% off every trip you make in Switzerland (trains buses and boats included). You will still need to buy tickets for everything (whereas with routes covered by the Regional Pass - Bernese Oberland you don't need to buy a ticket each time).

The only way to know for sure about what is most economical, is to do the math. Have a planned itinerary (if possible) and calculate the fares for point to point and compare against the cost of the rail passes mentioned above and any routes you may still have to pay for (full fare or discounted). We have an Excel sheet here to help you.

In the end, I think most hikers who don't have really set plans for transport often buy the Swiss Half Fare Cardso they get 50% off the fare for anything they need to buy. Including your transport to the Gimmelwald area (it is a country-wide rail pass).

Lucas

Last modified on Jul 18, 2017 - 6:07 AM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017