Can I still use old Swiss franc notes?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2019 at 16:16:05 #824199

The picture bank note, I have it in 1997 or 98.
    Is swiss France still can used in swiss?
    I travel from Singapore by tomorrow.
    15th Oct please reply me as soon as possibke

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    14 October 2019 at 16:58:44 #923673

Hi Kiakian932,

It is not a catastrophy, but a slight embarrassment: The name of the country is not “Swiss” but Switzerland (see the Forum Rules), and its currency is not “France” but Franc. And I don’t undersand what “picture” you are referring to, if any.

Yes, 1997-8 notes can still be used. Maybe not at any shops, but at least in banks or the post office.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 October 2019 at 17:48:22 #923674

Hello Kiankian932,

You probably meant to attach a picture, but unfortunately it doesn’t show. Anyway, Snowman provided you with the answer. Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 10:31:10 #923675

Thanks snowman for answering a question I was about to ask myself!  We have some older bank notes as well though not as old as those!  When you say they can be used in banks I assume you mean I can exchange them there for new notes acceptable in shops?

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2019 at 5:56:33 #923676

Hello maggiehorswell,

Yes, if you have some of the older note papers, just exchange them for the newer ones at any of the local banks in Switzerland. Banks such as : UBS, Credit Suisse will have someone that speaks English.

Hope that helps,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Can I still use old Swiss franc notes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.