Stopover suggestions en route Zurich to Lake Como

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 6:44:02 #816296

Travelling to lake Como from Zurich on the Bernina Express in August.

I believe this is possible.

We have 3 nights in Lake Como at the Tremezzo abd another 4 nights to spend and looking for suggestions.

I thought the Eden Roc hotel at Lake Maggiore looked a great place but wondered if this was possible as a detour from the train.

Whikst we don’t mind an detour, don’t wa t anything too taxing. And arduous.

Open to ideas , but ultimately we want to stay somewhere withi stunning views etc and that’s comfortsble and interesting too.

Many thabks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 May 2018 at 8:27:37 #886698

Hello Ppfito and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

We don’t really do Italy here but Tremezzo is not the easiest place to reach from Tirano at the end of your Bernina Express ride. You could get a train from Tirano to Varenna and boat from there to Tremezzo maybe.

You can reach the Eden Roc from Como via Lugano and Locarno. Probably need a bus Tremezzo to Como San Giovanni.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 8:56:13 #886699

Thank you Rock oyster.

Sorry i I should have been clearer, that I was looking for suggestions in Switzerland for stopovers en route to those destinations.

ie catch the train from Zurich and stopover in ……….. then re board train for journey to Como. Or Lake Maggiore is an option too.

Not sure if this is possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 9:36:50 #886700

Hello Ppfeto,

A Como local here 🙂

Bernina Express arrives at Tirano in Italy. It is in the Valtellina. Wherever you go from there you have to try the Pizzoccheri (a buckwheat pasta with potatoes, local cheese, and herbs).

If you have an option to stopover during the Bernina Express trip then Bernina Pass is a good option.

If you are looking for stopovers after Tirano then you could make a detour to Livigno, Chiavenna, and even Lake Garda. Lecco is on your way to Milan and Bergamo not that far from your route. All these places are great places to visit.

Another idea is to visit Ticino: Lugano, Bellinzona. Even Ascona on Lake Maggiore

Thanks, Denis.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 May 2018 at 10:38:34 #886701

I’m a bit confused about what you are trying to achieve but the Bernina Express is not an ideal route for a stop off at Maggiore.

You could have a look at the map you can download from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity to get your bearings and use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 May 2018 at 22:57:48 #886702

You could continue from Tirano to Lugano on Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) bus and stopover in Lugano. That would make more sense than heading to the Ed Roc at Ascona.

You need an early start from Zurich to connect with the only BEX departure from Chur at around 08:30am.

• The thread ‘Stopover suggestions en route Zurich to Lake Como’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.