About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum From Munich to Appenzell with Swiss Travel Pass
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

From Munich to Appenzell with Swiss Travel Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Swede4life
Swede4life
65 posts
Nov 24, 2021 - 2:20 PM

Hi, I have the Swiss Travel Pass from July 12-27. I "may" be traveling from Munich to Appenzell (via St. Gallen) on July 12th (1st day of STP). Is there any way I can pay only for my train ride in Germany and short ride in Liechtenstein? Maybe I will have to pay for the trip to St. Gallen and then validate the Swiss Travel Pass. No problem on return because we will be flying out of Zurich.

Ildiko
Ildiko
1355 posts
top member &
Nov 24, 2021 - 3:46 PM in reply to Swede4life

Hi Swede4life,

as your Swiss Travel Pass is valid on that day, you only need to pay for the German and short Austrian leg of your journey. (Swiss Travel Pass is also valid in Liechtenstein, see the validity map at www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. You won't go through Liechtenstein.) So you need to buy your tickets. Have a look at www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany, which will help you how to choose your ticket. You can buy your ticket at www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany/price.

Probably you will cross the Swiss-Austrian border at St. Margrethen SG, but make sure to check the timetable of your chosen route.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

PS.: In case you do not have your Swiss Travel Pass yet, there is a promotion at the moment, see the details at www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/swiss-travel-pass-25-off-until-11-december-2021.

Last modified on Nov 24, 2021 - 3:47 PM by Ildiko
Swede4life
Swede4life
65 posts
Nov 24, 2021 - 3:53 PM in reply to Ildiko

Thank you. This is very helpful.

1960man
1960man
2906 posts
top member
Nov 25, 2021 - 12:32 AM in reply to Swede4life

Munchen - Zurich trains arrive in Switzerland at St Margrethen. Your Swiss Pass will be valid from there. Assuming you will have purchased it in advance you will just stay on the train as far as St Gallen.

Swede4life
Swede4life
65 posts
Nov 25, 2021 - 12:44 AM in reply to 1960man

Thank you.

andrew
andrew
107 posts
Nov 26, 2021 - 5:09 PM in reply to Swede4life

Have you looked at the Appenzeller Holiday Card which hotels give you if you stay 3 consecutive nights or more? There are lots of freebies including free travel in the area. Look up the Appenzeller Holiday Card for more details and a zone map for the card. In the past, upon request, our hotel has agreed to send us the card in advance so we could use it for our inward journey once we hit the valid area which extends eastwards beyond St Gallen. If you've already bought your Swiss travel pass then I'm afraid all this is not much help as you will be "double-passed". If you haven't it might be worth shortening your Swiss Travel Pass duration by starting it later and buying tickets from the border to St Gallen and use your Appenzeller card for the rest of the journey and the next few days. All the best, Andrew.

Swede4life
Swede4life
65 posts
Nov 26, 2021 - 6:26 PM in reply to andrew

Andrew, thank you. Already have the STP and will get the Appenzeller card from my hotel. I believe we will be good. Thanks again. Larry

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 25% discount
Available until 11 December 2021. Book 11 months in advance. Free cancellation.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/#/en/home.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021