Swiss Travel Pass Wengen area validity map

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 20:49:10 #820531

Is the 1 in the red circle (25% off) on the STP validity map only referring to the Jungfraujoch line and the Kleine Scheigedd lines or does it also refer to the Wengen to Grindelwald lines as well?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 March 2019 at 22:09:20 #907201

The 25% discount applies only from Wengen to Jungfraujoch or from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch lines. But that also includes by default Wengen to Grindelwald via Kleine Scheidegg. If that’s what you mean.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 1:56:31 #907202

This is the break down of validity:

The BOB (Berner Oberland Bahn) line (Blue and yellow trains):

Interlaken – Zweilütschinen – Grindelwald: free with valid STP

Interlaken – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen: free with valid STP

The WAB (Wengernalp Bahn) lines (green and yellow trains):

Lauterbrunnen – Wengen: free with valid STP

Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg: 25% only

Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg: 25% only

JB (Jungfraubahn) line

Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch: 25% only

BLM lines:

Lauterbrunnen – Grutschalp – Murren: free with valid STP

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 2:01:44 #907203

As an aside, the fact that Wengen and Grindelwald are accessible free on STP is partly related to the legal status of Swiss settlements. Certain villages and towns have a status which guarantees that they must be accessible by ‘main stream’ public transport – even if they happen to be on a hillside.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 8:46:28 #907204

Hi Paddington

I think you have some good answers from our experts already. Below you can find links to the Swiss Travel pass coverage and the areas you are referring to for further information:

All the best on your travels!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 10:54:32 #907205

Thank you rock oyster and 1960man. And thanks maria for those links.

I couldn’t for the life of me determine which line the 25% was referring to and now I know! I’ve written it in our itinerary so I won’t forget! Nice to hear the reasoning and I’m grateful that I can travel free free with the STP to Wengen.

Getting closer now, I’ve booked all our accommodation ages ago and have now booked the panoramic trains 🙂 I was originally going to give up and get a travel agent book the trains for us but thanks to this forum I’ve happily done it myself.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 March 2019 at 20:20:14 #907206

Hi 1960man

This is just the get a link to your excellent description, ergo bit.ly/2OjBPve. 👏

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 11:37:22 #907207

Yes it was pretty good wasn’t it?

Thank you. 1960 man!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Wengen area validity map’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.