Combine Swiss Travel Pass & Jungfrau Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2019 at 17:56:59 #819875

Hi,

I love the forum and have found loads of information for our upcoming trip. Thank you so much.

We are a group of 8 ( 6 in their 20’s and 2 in their 50’s) traveling to Switzerland in mid-May. We will be getting the STP (8 days) to allow for flexibility. Our first 5 days we will be based in Wengen and then move on to Lucerne for 4 days. We will buy a one day pass to get to the airport on the last day.

While in Wengen, we want to do several hikes as well as go to Jungfrau.I am aware our hiking will be dependent on the snow melt. I have read on the forum that typically getting the Jungfrau travel pass does not make sense if you have the STP. According to my calculations it might make sense for us. Please advise given the below:

If we want to hike near/around First we would have to buy a ticket from Grindelwald to First. This is 60 CHF roundtrip. The Jungfrau tickets with STP is 137.40 and with Jungfrau travel pass a ticket is 61. Just there two trips cover almost the full cost of the Jungfrau pass of 135. Am I making an error in my calculations?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2019 at 18:41:04 #903972

Hi ADGKD and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You say the ticket to First is 60chf and then note it is 61 with Jungfrau Travel Pass – so that seems wrong. :). First would be free with the Jungfrau Travel Pass

It is possible that having both rail passes works out for you, if you are planning a lot of trips in the Jungfrau region. You can use our spreadsheet here to make sure your math is right: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2019 at 19:02:08 #903973

Sorry for the confusion. If I am reading the prices correctly (and that’s a BIG if)…:

With just the STP – round trip to First is 60 and Jungfrau is 137.40.

The Jungfrau travel pass cost is 135

With the STP & Jungfrau pass round trip to First is free and Jungfrau is 61.

So it would just take one small trip for the Jungfrau travel pass to pay for itself.

Do I have the correct costs?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2019 at 9:03:33 #903974

Hello ADGKD

Here a minor correction of both of your calculations above.

With Swiss Travel Pass ONLY, roundtrip to First is 30, NOT 60

With Swiss Travel Pass AND Jungfrau Pass, cost to the Jungfraujoch are 69 NOT 61

Find this information using the following link (Jungfraujoch): http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass/valid ity

Otherwise your calculations are correct and Lucas’ link above will support you on further details about which pass suits your plans best.

Happy planning and travelling, we’re here if you have further questions.

Best,

Steph

• The thread ‘Combine Swiss Travel Pass & Jungfrau Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.