Where to pick up Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 23:58:50 #815622

we are traveling to switzerland may 15th – 24th I have read many questions on threads on this site thank you they are VERY informative and helped with our trip plans

Here is our itinerary:

• arrive zurich am 16th -to Lucern direct from airport. In afternoon go up Mt Rigi
    • 17th Mt Titlis and Mt Pilatus pending weather
    • 18th Train to Gruyeres (spend few hour there ) on way to Montroux via Bern as quicker
    • 3 nights in Montroux will do sightseeing Chillon Castleand hike Lavux vineyards etc
    • 21th leave Montroux early and take Golden Pass train to Wengen and spend 2 nights there
    • 21th hope to get into Wengen by noonish and be able to go over to the Schilthorn or hike depending on weather
    • 22st get up early and get up to Jungfraujoch by 9 0r 10 spend afternoon in a hike on way back down at SK
    • 23nd Back to zurich from wengen drop luggage at hotel and take one hour train to border for Lichtenstein as my family of 4 wants to be able to say we were in Liechtenstein.

My question is where do we go to pick up the actual STP. Is it obvious at the train station when we get there. It looks like the train station is adjacent to the airport.

We are traveling to lucern drectly from the airport and hoping to go up to Mt Rigi. In a thread I saw someone decribe a more scenic route to Lucern. Is is much longer and is it worth it if we want to go up to Mt Rigi or Pilatus that afternoon.

Do the shops in most towns really close around 5 or 6 and just the restaurants open later?

What town would be best for Lichtenstein or take the train right into that country is an option ? Looks like cannot get there unless we go thru Zurich from Wengen

SInce there is construction on the Golden Pass route and the “epoque” trains are being renovated are the panorama trains running even with the construction? Therefore the VIP seat in the front ? as I could NOT seem to access that to get an idea. NOt that it seems to matter as you say that all the seats give a good view

Thank you in advance for responding I have learned so much about your country . For a month now I have been reading your repsonses and I see much repitition so tried not to ask questions until I was sure I could not find an answer but may have missed it anyway.

I did book Wengen vs Gimmelwald as was recomended thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 April 2018 at 0:23:20 #883633

You can get a Swiss Travel Pass at the airport station ticket office but why don’t you buy the it on-line and print at home. Much more convenient – hop straight on train, print backups an carry backup on USB stick.

For more on the Golden Pass “lottery” see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/one-more-time-golden-pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 7:32:31 #883634

Hi zittelm,

I would just go straight to Lucerne. Shops close around 6 pm and restaurants take orders until 9 – 10 pm. Depends on how busy it is.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to see how to best get to Liechtenstein from where you are.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 14:49:12 #883635

>> Back to zurich … and take one hour train to border for Lichtenstein as my family of 4 wants to be able to say we were in Liechtenstein … What town would be best for Lichtenstein or take the train right into that country is an option

Trains from Switzerland to Austria travel through Liechtenstein, but don’t stop there. If you wanted to stop in Liechtenstein, you would need to leave the train at Buchs SG and get a bus.

Trains that do stop in Liechtenstein are regional trains run by the ÖBB (Austrian Railways).

You can plan this trip with the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo.)

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 11:44:14 #883636

Thank you we did buy the 8 day travel pass on line but felt we would need something to use at kiosks to get tickets for each day .Our info said print at station will look into it a bit more

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 12:36:14 #883637

No, that’s not needed. If you have any further questions, do let us know.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 May 2018 at 21:17:29 #883638

The only places you will need additional tickets (in your itinerary) are Titlis, Pilatus and Jungfraujoch. Even for free mountain excursions (not listed in your itinerary) you will need to show your STP at the base ticket office to get a free token.

On trains you just get on board and show the inspector your STP when requested.

• The thread ‘Where to pick up Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.