Streamlining my 7 day Swiss visit plan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2011 at 17:49:44 #804486

Hi Annika,

Thanks for all the tips. As per your suggestion I have finalised my itenary.

– Arriving in Basel by train from Germany(Berlin) on 20th July morning.
    – 20th We are planning to see Basel just for a day: Sight seeing basel, rhine river ride. Stay at Basel.
    – 21st Move to Interlaken. See inside Interlaken for a day. Stay at Interlaken.
    – 22nd Visit Jungfrau, Grindewald and back. Stay at Interlaken.
    – 23rd Move to Lucern via some scenic train route(suggestions welcome), seeing Lucern. Stay at Lucern.
    – 24th Seeing Lucern, boat trips. Stay at Lucern.
    – 25th Move to Zurich. Seeing Zurich. Stay at Zurich.
    – 26th Seeing Zurich or nearby.
    – Leaving for Stockholm on 26th at 20:00 hours by flight from Zurich.

We would like to know if i buy the Half fare card, wont i have to buy all city tickets for all the places and the long trains.

If i choose the 3 day card for Basel-Interlaken, Interlaken-Lucern and Lucern-Zurich, how expensive is the city tickets then.
    At each destination. 20th – basel city, 22nd – Jungfrau mountain train – grindewald, 24th – Lucern boat rides, 26th – Zurich city and airport transfer. On foot travel is not much for us as for my wife as already said. 🙁

Please advice how to go ahead. The stay i booked are refundable so can adjust plans slightly.
    Eagerly awaiting your suggestion. 🙂

regards,

Manu

Continued from: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/need-help-deciding-which-rail-pass-to-purchase

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 July 2011 at 3:57:19 #833495

Hello Manu. Thanks for creating a new topic. If you own a Swiss Half Fare Card, you have to purchase 50% discounted tickets for each trip, including tickets for public transportation within cities. Ticket prices can be reviewed in the Swiss timetable. Both the regular and the 50% discounted prices can be displayed. Prices for the Jungfraujoch can be found at the Jungfrau Railways website. You’ll find prices for boat trips on lake Lucerne via the link I mentioned before. This FAQ may be of help too.

Are you referring to the 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass by ‘3 day card’? In that case, your trips will either be for free on free travel days (except for mountain trains such as the Jungfraujoch train), or discounted on non-free travel days. Further explanation can be found at the Swiss Flexi Pass page.

I still think you’re best off with a Swiss Half Fare Card, but you can calculate to be sure using the FAQ I just linked to.

• The thread ‘Streamlining my 7 day Swiss visit plan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.