Stresa to Hérémence via Simplon Pass- what to do?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 15:28:43 #813116

Hi!

We will be driving from Stresa, Lake Maggiore area to Hérémence via Domodossola and Simplon Pass. We are a family of 4 (2 children 15, 18).

1. I would like to know what we can see and do along the way, ie waterfalls, gorges, dams, short hikes, nice drives, etc..

2. We might head towards Täsch to get closer to the Matterhorn, but can you see it from there?

I know in Sion area there is a lot do like Grand Dixence Dam, Eusigne Pyramids, castles-BUT I was wondering if there is anything along the way from Domodossola to Brig and Brig to Sion?

Day 2 we are driving from Sion up to Montreux/Vevey and then on to Grindelwald and hoping to do Bisse du Milieu and Lascaux Vineyards walk and go to Broc and go to Masion Callier and perhaps walk Jaun/Jogne gorge. Any other suggestions?

Day 3-5 in Grindelwald-do lots of hikes weather permitting

Day 6-8 head to Ernen via Kandersteg car train and do Oeschinensee hike and hopefully Dala Schlucht. Then in Ernen do Fürgangen – Mühlebach – Ernen hike over the Goms bridge and I heard there is a hike where you can find minerals.

3. Does anyone know anything about the hike near Ernen where you can find minerals?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 9:22:56 #869159

Hi nmhamel,

1. I don’t know the road personally so as to give you details on what is along your route, especially on the Italian side as that is out of this websites purview. However the first Swiss town you will drive by is Brig. Here you can visit a couple of glaciers that aren’t too far out of your way (Bettmerhorn and the Eggishorn both described here).
    2. I’m not sure about seeing the Matterhorn from Täsch -perhaps on a clear day yes. It is a short train ride into Zermatt from there and a good way to spend a couple hours, whether you stay in town or go up a nearby mountain like the Gornergrat.

If you are up for a detour between Brig and Sion you could visit Saas-Fee. I’m not sure of what may or may not be right on your driving route however.

We have a list of ideas for things to do in the Montreux area here.
      Yes, lots of hikes available for you in the Grindelwald area!

3. Unfortunately, no, I have no information myself on Ernen area and mineral searches – perhaps another member knows more. There is an website for the regional Park that Ernen is in and it is in English – you could try contacting them directly as well.

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 September 2017 at 7:09:15 #869160

Hi Nmhamel,

I don’t know that specific trail near Ernen either, but the whole area is wonderful. Certainly worth a day trip. I did a hike in the nearby Binn valley and liked it a lot.

• The thread ‘Stresa to Hérémence via Simplon Pass- what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.