Best rail pass for weekend trips over 6 months?

Best rail pass for weekend trips over 6 months?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Rogersam
Rogersam
3 posts
Nov 10, 2017 - 10:47 AM

I will be attending the University of Lucerne from January to June. I plan to travel in Switzerland and also to Austria and Germany on the weekends. What is the best pass for me to save some money? Thank you!

Lucas
Lucas
6497 posts
expert &
Nov 10, 2017 - 4:16 PM in reply to Rogersam

Hi Rogersam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For someone who will be residing in Switzerland for a longer period of time (so you have a local address) I would look at the Swiss Half Fare Travel Card (12 month validity for 185chf). It is for locals only and not tourists but you should qualify for that.

We don't have any specific information on it as this website is for tourists, but here is the SBB website to explain.

The pass get you 50% off all travel within Switzerland.
Rail passes that cover all three countries are limited in duration - usually 10 days in 1 month for example...so you could buy a couple of those during your stay as well (if you plan to visit more than one country per trip).

Check out our Eurail Select Pass page for more details.

Last modified on Nov 10, 2017 - 4:17 PM by Lucas
Rogersam
Rogersam
3 posts
Nov 10, 2017 - 4:17 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank yo use much Lucas, that is very helpful. Love your website - can't wait to get to Switzerland!!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3607 posts
expert
Nov 10, 2017 - 7:43 PM in reply to Rogersam

In Germany there are many regional and other passes which are quite economical. See www.bahn.com/en/view/o ffers/regional/index.s html?dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D0 02_KIN0059_FLYOUT-ANGEBOTE-REGIONAL-ANGEBOTE_LZ01

Rogersam
Rogersam
3 posts
Nov 11, 2017 - 3:49 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018