Best rail pass for weekend trips over 6 months?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2017 at 10:47:10 #813642

I will be attending the University of Lucerne from January to June. I plan to travel in Switzerland and also to Austria and Germany on the weekends. What is the best pass for me to save some money? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2017 at 16:16:04 #871753

Hi Rogersam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For someone who will be residing in Switzerland for a longer period of time (so you have a local address) I would look at the Swiss Half Fare Travel Card (12 month validity for 185chf). It is for locals only and not tourists but you should qualify for that.

We don’t have any specific information on it as this website is for tourists, but here is the SBB website to explain.

The pass get you 50% off all travel within Switzerland.
    Rail passes that cover all three countries are limited in duration – usually 10 days in 1 month for example…so you could buy a couple of those during your stay as well (if you plan to visit more than one country per trip).

Check out our Eurail Select Pass page for more details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2017 at 16:17:57 #871754

Thank yo use much Lucas, that is very helpful. Love your website – can’t wait to get to Switzerland!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 November 2017 at 19:43:53 #871755

In Germany there are many regional and other passes which are quite economical. See http://www.bahn.com/en/view/o ffers/regional/index.s html?dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D0 02_KIN0059_FLYOUT-ANGEBOTE-REGIONAL-ANGEBOTE_LZ01

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2017 at 3:49:24 #871756

Thanks!

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for weekend trips over 6 months?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.