Driving Frankfurt to Lyon, 3 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2017 at 3:36:48 #810933

Hello there!

I will be on road trip on Europe this month, with total of 7 persons (includes 2 female elderly and 2 kids of 4 years old each). We will leave Frankfurt,Germany around 9am on 26 March by car to Switzerland and must arrive at Lyon, France latest by noon on 29 March.

We’d love to see mountains and lake (Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunen), and definitely a bit play in snow for the children eg. snowtubing or snowsleedging. This is my children’s first snow experience! We will not do sky and other snowsports. Which snowpark open on March; is it Titlis or Jungfarujoch?

Can you please advise us in which area we should be based? Or better we move considering we have car? Below is our itinerary considering our interest mentioned above; for your input please:

Day 1: drive from Frankfurt to Lucerne to have lunch and walk around, then drive to Engelberg and stay overnight there.

Day 2: Mount Titlis for snowpark etc until lunch time. Then drive to Lauterbrunen, walk around and stay overnight there.

Day 3: Take a morning train to Jungfraujoch, and after lunch take train to go back to Lauterbrunen. Take our car and drive to Interlaken. Stay overnight in Interlaken.

Day 4: Drive to Lyon in the morning.

But hey I missed Grindelwald! Can I put Grindelwald on day 2? or should I remove the Lucerne with Grindelwald? Which one is better for our interests?

Sorry for a long writing, and thanks so much in advance for the advice!!

Warm regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2017 at 9:09:29 #859507

Hi Lauradi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like a pretty reasonable itinerary for a quick drive through Switzerland.

Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen are 25 minutes apart by car so you could visit here on day 2 or 3 if you need to.

Mt. Titlis is a great option for some snow experiences for you and your family. Keep the weather in mind before visiting Jungfraujoch – if it is cloudy you won’t see much and it won’t be worth the trip. Weather in the mountains is hard to predict so take a look the night before and morning of your planned departure.

You may want to buy Swiss Half-Fare cards for the adults (children under 5 are free) for the train and gondola trips you plan to do to save some money – click the link above for details on prices, where and how to buy and what routes are discounted by the card.

I hope that helps solve some issues, let me know if you have further questions.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 10:08:17 #859508

Thanks so much Lucas for your feedback and apologies for the very late reply.

Do you think it’s better on day 2 and 3 to be based in Interlaken and go to Jungfraujoch and Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald using trains? Will it be better for the elderly and toddlers?

Thanks so much in advance again. So excited to see the Alps!

Warm regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 14:14:35 #859509

Hi lauradi,

It may be a little simpler with everyone to do 2 nights in Interlaken yes. Then you can just train to your attractions/other towns as you see fit when you are there (very easy from Interlaken).
    It might be best not to move around too much I think?

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Driving Frankfurt to Lyon, 3 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.