Suggestion on below itinerary for 5 day trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2015 at 19:11:27 #807922

Hello All,

firstly I would like to thanks everyone here for all the help and feedback you provide to everyone in here.. I’ve been lurking around the forum for a week or so, and have finally come up with a plan. Hoping anyone here can give me any pointers on how I can improve my trip

Day 1: Zurich

Arrive in Zurich around 10AM

Visit Rhine Falls and a walk around Zurich City CenterLeave for Lucerne in the evening

Day 2:Visit Mt. Titlis& Lake Lucerne and Lucerne town centerLeave for Interlaken in the evening(thinking of booking accomdation in Wengen)

Day 3:Jungfraujoch

Day 4:Chateau de Chillon, Montreux & Geneva ? (or explore lauterbrunned and grindelwald)Day 5Zermatt(Matterhorn) & View from Klien Matterhorn if possible in a dayleave for Milan in the evening.Im not quite sure about day 4 to do that or to explore Lauterbrunnen..Also not sure if I should move base from Lucerne to Interlaken, zermatt and Jungfrau seem closer from Interlaken.

I am just planning on taking the 50% railcard and buying tickets as I go.

Any feedback on above is highly appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: Im planning to visit in the 2nd week of October, what sort of weather am I to expect around this time.. Cold is expected.. I’m just hoping its not pouring wet (londoner here :/)

Ok I said 5 days but only 4 days above.. So i do have 1 extra day.. Still undecided where to spend it.. any suggestions are welcome 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 September 2015 at 16:56:33 #846082

Welcome to MySwissAlps, spskm9!

The first three days of your itinerary look fine to me. As for day 4: personally I wouldn’t travel to Montreux and Geneva, but focus on the beautiful Jungfrau region instead. It saves a lot of traveling time, and the area around Wengen and Grindelwald has so much to offer that you can easily spend another day there. Having a base there certainly makes sense, rather than making two longer day trips from Lucerne. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/activiti es for tips about this region. The 5th day will indeed allow you to travel to Zermatt and visit either Klein Matterhorn or the Gornergrat. If you want to move on to Milan the same day, I suggest you leave early in the morning. The timetable allows you to figure out all traveling times.

The Swiss Half Fare Card can be a good choice indeed. Purchase options are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price. Since you’re from the UK, you can best order through http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk.

These pages allow you to search for hotels near the rail stations:

Using the search box in the upper right corner will allow you to search the forum for posts about hotels in Wengen.

Weather is very unpredictable. I can only give some general patterns, but they provide absolutely no guarantee about your stay. You’d best check weather forecasts shortly before, that’s the only way to make sure. In the 2nd week of October, Fall will probably have set in. You may encounter early Fall colors in the lower valleys, and increasing snow on the mountain tops. Fog can occur down in the valleys, whereas skies higher up in the mountains can be very clear. So don’t be put off if it looks foggy, but check the forecasts and try to find out if a mountain top visit is still worth it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2015 at 11:31:53 #846083

Awesome thanks you for your response..

I have made bookings for 1 night in Lucerne and 4 in Wengen.

Now doing the calculations as to if the swiss pass could be the better way or if the half fare card is better value..

• The thread ‘Suggestion on below itinerary for 5 day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.