Suggestion where to go on a day trip from Lucerne

• Melbkk
    Participant
    6 posts
    10 June 2019 at 2:51:21 #822146

Hi, please help. I only have a short time in Europe and plan to make a side trip to Zurich on June 19th then proceed to stay in Lucerne and depart on Jun 21st. I plan to explore Luzern in the afternoon when i arrive. But, basically i have a full day to explore and go on a day trip on the 20th. Having this tight schedule, can anyone please suggest a not to be missed beautiful scenery where i could spend my whole day? Is it possible to visit Mount Riqi, Mount Titlis and Mount Pilatus during this trip? Do i need to buy a tour package? If not, suggestions on how to get there will also be very much appreciated.

And by the way, where area is safe to stay for a woman travelling alone in Lucerne?

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    10 June 2019 at 8:59:07 #914650

Hi

You can visit any of Mount Riqi, Mount Titlis and Mount Pilatus

My preference will be in the order of as follows: any one only possible

Mount titlis with ice flyer (I personally visited this)

Mount Pilatus

Mount Rigi

I do not think you need to take any tour. Take train to Engelberg and from there you can go to Mt titlis. Pl check live webcam before you travel because if it is cloudy it is waste of time and money

The other option is Swiss Transport Museum it will take the whole day and quite interesting for adults and kids. My suggestion pl take “Day Pass”

You visit my blog chetantravel.wordpress .com and click tab Switzerland and Swiss Itinerary

Enjoy

Chetan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2019 at 11:41:26 #914651

Hello Melbkk and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

When reading your post I spontaneously had the idea that you could, if you wanted, spend the first night on Mount Pilatus (there’s a very nice hotel there, Hotel Bellevue Pilatus), doing half of the Golden Roundtrip on your day of arrival to Lucerne, staying at the top of the mountain and like this saving some time.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

You can then visit Mount Titlis on the second day, and add Mount Stanserhorn, as a slightly closer alternative than Mount Rigi.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis
    http://www.myswissalps.com/st anserhorn
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

Use our timetable to find out about exact travelling times and to plan your detailed itinerary.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable, read how it works first, it’s a fabulous tool for planning.

Hope this provides some inspiration to support your planning. We’re here for further input.

Best,
    Steph

Also see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    10 June 2019 at 11:57:41 #914652

Hello Melbkk!

I’m also new to this forum, but as experienced traveler can tell, that myswissalps.com is the most helpful source I ever see , where you can get an answer from the real EXPERTS of Switzerland! I think that better wait for their response because it’s always detailed with many useful links provided. Also you can find the information , if you type your question in the search engine at their website. Many travelers shared their experience as well ( of course without advertising of their websites, as I strongly believe is inappropriate).

I also have an upcoming trip to Switzerland (3 nights based in Zurich ) at the end of July /beginning of August & planned my itinerary very careful in order to show to my daughter the most of this beautiful country in such short period of time.We’re planning to spend one day in Luzern as follow:

Early morning train from Zurich to Arth-Goldau, cogwheel ( blue)train to Mt. Rigi, explore there, cogwheel (red) train to Vitznau , boat to Luzern.( of course weather permitting ). This itinerary ( or vice versa ) give you the opportunity to see the mountain & beautiful Lake Luzern from different point of view.

Change boat to Verkehrshaus -Lido ( Swiss Transport Museum) to experienced Chocolate Ride Adventure.( 20 min show to see how chocolate is made).

Take City Train tour (40 min ride on small electrical train starting from Hotel Schweizerhof).

Take 14:02 train to Engelberg to visit benediction monastery (Dated 1120). Monastery has one of the largest organ in Switzerland & the only monastery that has small cheese making factory. There is a dairy show ( approximately every 40 min up to 15:30 pm) inside the cafe with glass wall from where you can see the process of cheese making. After that short tour of the monastery providing by monk at 4 pm ( tour on German language only, but they’re providing booklet on English ).

Back to Luzern by taking 17:02 train.Explore city by walk.

All the above travel covered by Swiss Travel Pass or ( in my case) by Saver Day Pass ( cost 52 CHF per person per day if you buy it up to 60 days in advance , but they’re can be sold out).

This is our ambitious itinerary , but always a good idea to have a back up plan in case of a bad weather.

You can take one of scenic train ride for that day, but better wait for Top Member’s advice (since I’m not an expert). Luzern is one of the most beautiful cities ( in my opinion) and very safe ( as all Switzerland ), and opportunities to spend one day there are endless. Everything up to your interests and willing.

Enjoy your trip!

Best, Lana

PS By the time I finished my post, Steph already replied to you. Such an amazing idea to spend a night on mountain ! I wish that I can do it, too. it’s exactly what I mean saying that better to get an advice from real experts

Ghandr
    Participant
    15 posts
    10 June 2019 at 16:18:41 #914653

Jumping to the post as I will have the same situation of short stay in Lucerne in July.

idea of staying one night on the mountain is super nice, Dear Steph can you share link for that mountain on the top of mount pilatus as I couldn’t find it in booking.com

and kindly advice if one day from very early morning till 3:00 pm how many attractions and tours around Lucerne can we make in such tight period of time?

many thanks

Melbkk
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 June 2019 at 2:16:32 #914654

Hi Chetan. Thank you for sharing your experience in Switzerland. It’s very helpful. I’ve seen your blog and your pictures look awesome.

Melbkk
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 June 2019 at 2:53:15 #914655

Hello Steph. I am considering the idea of spending the night in the mountain. Your links are quite helpful. Exactly what the assistance i needed to complete my plan. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Melbkk
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 June 2019 at 3:00:33 #914656

Wow, this is a detailed itinerary. Will be taking notes for sure. Thank you for sharing. .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2019 at 9:54:58 #914657

Hello everyone,

I found the Hotel I mentioned on the top of Mount Pilatus at booking under the name “Hotel Bellevue Kriens” and on the Pilatus page below:
    http://www.pilatus.ch/en/disc over/hotels/online-booking/

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Suggestion where to go on a day trip from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.