Help on our 6 days itinerary for end of July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 20:42:10 #811372

Hi,

We are visiting Switzerland during the last week of July. We are Family of 3 (2 adults and kid of 7 years). Arrive at Basel on 25th July at 8.15 pm and Departure from Basel 31st July 8.40 pm

Planning to take Swiss travel Pass for 4 days. Is there any other pass that I can take for the balance 2 days or it is worth taking the Swiss pass for 8 days? Do I have to buy each ticket separately for Half Fare Pass? I think that will be bit of a hassle if I have to buy separately for each bus, train boat trip.

I am planning to travel to Lucerne on 25th Night. Is it a good idea to travel to Lucerne on 25th assuming I will be out of the airport by 9 pm or 9.30pm?

I am planning to spend 3 days at Lucerne.

26th July: visit Mt Pilatus, Mt Rigi. Return to Lucerne in the evening

27th July: Visit Zurich and Rhine falls return to Lucerne in the evening

28th July: Visit Mt Titlis. Return to Lucerne and travel to Interlaken in the evening.

29th July: Visit Zermatt/Matterhorn and return to Interlaken in the evening

30th July: Visit Jungfrau and return to Interlaken in the evening

31th July: Cruise at Lake Thun and spend some time at Interlaken. Start from Interlaken at 4pm to Basel.

Is there a way, I can combine Glacier Express and Golden Pass Line with this itinerary?

Is it a good idea to cover the Interlaken side of the trip 1st? I will have to travel to Interlaken on 25th July night. The benefit will be on 31st July I will get more time as the travel time from Lucerne to Basel is less.

Please suggest if I should change something in this itinerary? Will it be too hectic considering we will have a 7 year old kid and some luggage.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2017 at 5:49:06 #861392

Hi Skumar and welcome to MySwissAlps!

• I would head straight to Luzern from Basel as your next day is fairly busy visiting Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi.
    • You can take a portion of the Glacier Express, from Visp to Zermatt –> Interlaken = Visp – Zermatt. But it is a small portion. The Golden Pass runs from Interlaken to Montreux and would be a separate trip – you could look at this as an alternative if you have a day where the weather in the mountains is poor and it isn’t work going (Jungfraujoch for example – don’t go if clouds will obscure your views!)
    • I don’t think there is a huge advantage to do the Interlaken area first….well the advantage is a one hour shorter train trip back to Basel, but if your plan is just wander Interlaken and a boat cruise on Lake Thun I think that’s ok – your call!
    • The trip one way from Interlaken to Zermatt is about 2 hours one-way (a little longer if you hook up on the panoramic Glacier Express train). The standard trains run on the same route but don’t have the panoramic windows – this may be sufficient for you as you are doing a small part only of the Glacier Express route.

Otherwise it looks like a good itinerary – not too much running around each day!

It may indeed be worth buying the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass considering the trips you are planning. It would be an extra 110chf per person roughly and you can include the 1st and last days on your trip (which helps a little on the cost). If you do have the Swiss Travel Pass on your last day the boat cruise and train will be covered for you and your child. Your child will travel free with the Swiss Family Cardon all days you and your partner have a valid Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Family Card is a free add-on for the Swiss Travel Pass.

You still have to buy individual tickets if you have the Swiss Half Fare Card, yes.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2017 at 9:25:48 #861393

Thanks a lot Lucas for your quick and detailed response. Thanks for your suggestion. I will go for the 8 days Swiss Travel pass.

Considering my itinerary in Interlaken, Do you have suggestion for a particular area for accommodation. I was thinking Wengen will be good and I should find something near the station. Do you see any problem with this or I should stay close to Interlaken?

For Lucerne, I am thinking of something close to Lucerne station. I have blocked IBIS Budget. But still looking for something better near by. Do let me know if I should look for some other area?

My preference will be to be close to Public transport.

Thanks for your input for Itenerary. I will workout the details now and come back to you if I need further suggestions.

With regards,

SKumar

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 April 2017 at 14:24:51 #861394

Hi SKumar,

Wengen is beautiful, and a great base if you want to stay in the mountains. If you want to explore other parts of the Bernese Oberland too, note that it’s located less centrally than Interlaken and that you’ll need more traveling time. You can read about the several villages at myswissalps.com/jungfr auregion.

Our hotel recommendations for Lucerne are listed at myswissalps.com/lucern e/hotels. For each hotel, we mention the distance to the rail station. If you need more specific help, please post a topic in our accommodation forum and list your requirements as described here.

• The thread ‘Help on our 6 days itinerary for end of July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.