Suggestions for rail pass Interlaken & Salzburg

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2016 at 4:58:53 #856342

another doubt regarding the visit to Jungfraujoch and Mount Titlis. Since I am planning to take Swiss travel pass for me and my wife and Swiss family card for my two children, i am planning to go to both above locations my own. Now when I read so many articles about both the above tourist places, it is mentioned about guided tours especially to Jungfraujoch.

my doubt is is the guided tour very much required, or shall i go in my own way so that I can spend as much time I want. Plz guide me in this regard.

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 October 2016 at 6:11:40 #856343

Hi balsundar,

A guided tour is not required, it is a matter of personal preference whether you prefer to do it on your own or with a guide. Information about both options can be found on our Titlis and Jungfraujoch pages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2016 at 8:29:14 #856344

Thanks Arno,

My flight is landing at 7 in Zurich airport. I took the Swiss travel for me and my wife. now i hv to get the Swiss family pass , since my two kids( 9 years and 5 years ) is travelling with me. how long the procedure take to get the Swiss Family pass from Zurich airport. When i booked the Swiss travel pass it is mentioned that the Swiss Family Pass will not get online.

Another doubt is regarding the train to interlaken from Zurich airport. I thought of catching the train at 8 or 8.30 AM. Is booking required for this travel , even if I have a travel pass, because i saw in SBB website that for the morning two trains Very High occupancy expected.

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 October 2016 at 9:00:32 #856345

Hi Balsundar,

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get the Swiss Family Card online as well! It is certainly possible to get it online and print it at home. I explained the procedure in my Oct 3 – 10:10 AM post. Did you not order there? Some other retailers may indeed not offer it, that’s why I mentioned that option.

You can show your Swiss Travel Pass at the ticket office of the airport train station and get a free Swiss Family Card. It won’t be a problem, but it will unfortunately take more time than the print at home option.

You don’t need to book your train. The pass is all you need. Have a good trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2016 at 16:57:05 #856346

against my previous post i got a mail(i subscribe for email) i got email that Arno has replied. but when i see the post I am not able to find anything regarding that. Plz find the below details regarding the mail I received.

Dear balsundar,

‘Arno’ replied in the forum thread ‘Suggestions for rail pass Interlaken & Salzburg’:

“Hi Balsundar, I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get the Swiss Family Card online as well! It is certainly…”

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 October 2016 at 17:16:00 #856347

The trains have very high occupancy because that is the commuter rush hour.

You will be able to get seats, but probably not 4 seats together. If you are able to take a train that does not require change in Zürich, but stops there, you will likely have a chance to get seats together when a lot of people get off at Zürich.

For example, trains from the airport at 0840 and 0918.

If you are worried, take a train after about 0930. Have breakfast in the food hall in the building where the train station is.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 October 2016 at 17:19:29 #856348

There indeed was a technical issue, but it’s solved now.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 October 2016 at 17:24:14 #856349

I checked on October 28th, and do not see VHO signs. I see the “two figure” indicator, not the “three figures”

Try to take the trains at 0840 or 0918…They stop at Zürich Main Station, but you do not have to change trains. When all the commuters get off the train, you’ll be able to get 4 seats together, even if you had a problem on the short ride from the airport.

In fact, if you have luggage that slows you down, make sure that you do not take a train that requires a change at Zürich main station

If you want to avoid the commuters, have breakfast in the food hall in the train station building….street level, just across the street from the airport building.

Slowpoke

PS- I replied twice because of the “technical issue.”

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 October 2016 at 17:32:18 #856350

Thanks for your time and perseverance Slowpoke!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 17:40:39 #856351

Hi,

since our travel date is approaching near i require a fine tuning for my trip.

just to remind we are two families coming together out of which 5 are children. max age of children is 12 and min age is 5. We took swiss travel pass. Plan to take Swiss family card also. plz see below my rough itinerary . kindly see and suggest.

24 th october early morning reaches at Zurich straight to interlaken, plan to utilize full day by roaming around Interlaken? didn’t decide where to go there!

25th to Jungfrau or Mt Titlis depends on cimate (either one) is it possible any other locations on the way?

26th not decided, suggestion required,but wishes to utilize locations or places benefited by using Swiss travel pass

27th to Jungfrau or Mt Titlis depends on cimate (either one) is it possible any other locations on the way?

28th morning to Zurich, suggestions required for that journey also, like to see on the way, but problem is that we are carrying lugguage.

29 th plan to take a car rental and to travel to Innsbruck, coming back by late night.Wishes to drive also to visit Austria

30th to roam around Zurich, again suggestion required.

31st early morning back to home.

thanks and expecting valuable suggestions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 October 2016 at 13:27:15 #856352

Hi Balsundar,

You can see Bern for a few hours on your way to Zurich. There are lockers at the station.

A car trip from Zurich to Innsbruck takes at least 3.5 hours one way, without detours, breaks or traffic jams. This is too long for a day trip I think, especially in October with short daylight hours. I wouldn’t do this myself and focus on things to see nearby in Switzerland. But if you want to go ahead I’d recommend the train. It takes 3.5 hours as well but it will be more comfortable and safer too.

Further tips can be found on our town and attractions pages. You can find them through the main menu.

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Suggestions for rail pass Interlaken & Salzburg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.