Recommended train pass 3 days Switzerland in May

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Prash
Prash
3 posts
Feb 11, 2019 - 2:28 PM

Dear Members, I am happy to be part of this vibrant discussion forum.

Me and my wife are travelling to Switzerland on May 3,2019 to May 6,2019.

We reach Geneva airport at 9am on May 3 and we leave from Interlaken Ost on May 6 10am.

So we are confused which pass to take for our below outline of places we wish to see.

1. Primarily we want to see countryside(train,bus), scenic beauties, lakes and use cogwheel trains and cable-cars which are included in our pass. Least or no preferences for museums, long duration hiking, activities for sole reason we have just 3 days to explore Switzerland.

2.After all maths(I may be wrong!), I zeroed down on SAVER DAY PASS(SDP) without Half Fare Card(HFC) for 3 days (6 saver day pass in total for two of us) but when I see the validity area I have 2 queries

a) When it shows "Train to point A" what does this mean? From any location to point A is free?

b)When it shows " Train from A to B" what about return back ie from B to A point? Should I buy separate ticket apart from Saver Day Pass?

3. Please suggest places/routes which are purely covered in Saver day pass without spending extra on one time ticket.

Your inputs will be helpful and I will be thankful for making our stay pleasant and efficient.

Steph
Steph
1703 posts
top member &
Feb 11, 2019 - 4:57 PM in reply to Prash

Hello Prash,

Welcome to MySwissAlps. Nice that you're coming for a visit.

1) Find an overview of how to plan your trip and of Switzerland's regions and attractions by clicking these links:

www.myswissalps.com/ge ttingstarted

www.myswissalps.com/re gions

www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities

2. For information about available passes and to find support in which pass suits you best the two following links will help:

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Regarding your detailed question about the Saver Day Pass the situation is the following:

a) Yes, when it show "train to ABC: free" this means arriving there from any location in Switzerland is free.

b) When it says "train from A to B: free" then the train from B to A is also free and there is no need to buy another ticket, provided it's on the same day.

If you download the map from this section you will see the information more detailed: www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/validity

I hope this helps your planning. Get back to us anytime for further support.

Best,

Steph

Last modified on Feb 11, 2019 - 5:14 PM by Steph
Arno
Arno
13854 posts
expert &
Feb 12, 2019 - 10:35 AM

Hi Prash,

I noticed you posted new questions in a different thread (www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/saver-day-pass-reserve-trains-in-advance):

1. If i buy one Half fare card(HFC) can I buy 2 swiss travel pass(3 days) with it? or is it 1 HFC can buy only 1 swiss travel pass?
2. If i buy 1 HFC can I buy multiple Saver day pass(SDP)?
3. If I try to buy HFC today, calendar shows only till April 11,2019 but my travel is May 3 to May 6, so when can I buy HFC at the earliest?
4. Does HFC need to be a physical card or a printout is enough?

Let's keep your rail pass questions in one place for easier communication. Here are my answers:

1. Those products are completely separate. One does not get you a discount on the other:

2. Yes.

3. You can buy it 60 days in advance: www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass.

4. You can buy it online and print it at home: www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price.

Note that the Swiss Travel Pass is often better than multiple Saver Day Passes, please see www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/details for more details on that.

Prash
Prash
3 posts
Feb 12, 2019 - 3:55 PM

Thanks Arno,

After valuable suggestions below is my choice of pass

1) STP 3 days pass

or

2)HFC+SDP pass - 3 days

But definitely option is 1 is highly beneficial. Next I will work on locations, timetables, duration.

Thanks a ton for all who replied.

Arno
Arno
13854 posts
expert &
Feb 12, 2019 - 4:01 PM

Glad to help Prash!

I'd go for option one probably. You can buy that from CHF 230: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Option two would cost CHF 205 at the very least, if you can actually get the Saver Day Passes for the lowest price, which is not guaranteed. You'd then save CHF 25 but that gets you passes that can't be cancelled, no free museum entrance, and no free cable cars like Schilthorn and Stanserhorn.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019