Hi, we are a couple visiting Switzerland on 1st October 2018, for a 11 days trip. We have been following this forum for the last couple of weeks. The amount of organized information we have got from here has helped us a lot in preparing the below itenerary based on our preferences which include easy hikes, scenic train / boat trips and small village visits.
Base - Luzern :
Day 1 : Reach Zurich in the evening and take train to Luzern.
Day 2 - Trip to Mount Titlis , Visit Old town , Chapel bridge
Day 3 - Trip to Mount Rigi (Boat trip to Vitznau – Go to Rigi Kulm by Cogwheel train – Hike to Rigi kaltbad - Take cable car to Weggis – Spend some time in Weggis - Take boat back to Luzern)
- Is a short visit to Bern possible after returning from Mount Rigi ?
Day 4 - Luzern - Brig (Board Glacier express) - Chur - Back to Luzern
Base - Montreux :
Day 5 - Take Golden Pass from Luzern to Montreux - Visit Vevey - Hike in Lavaux vineyards (Epesses - Chexbres - Rivaz - Saint Saphorin) - Overnight in Montreux
- Is seat reservation needed from Lucerne to Montreux in the Golden Pass route ?
Day 6 - Visit Château de Chillon. Travel to Wengen/Lauterbrunnen.
- Can we include any other activities on this day (like boat ride around interlaken or short hikes nearby) if we reach in the afternoon ?
Base - Wengen / Lauterbrunnen / Wilderswil
Day 7 - Schilthorn trip - Walk around Murren - Gimmelwald .
Day 8 - Scenic boat ride (Lake Thun or Lake Brienz) with any lakeside town visit
Day 9 - Day trip to Zermatt (Gornergrat) - Rotenboden to Rifflealp hike
Day 10 - Mannlichen to Klein Scheidegg hike
Day 11 - Return to Zurich (probably visit Rhine falls) and take flight back early morning next day.
- Based on our travel plans, which one (Lauterbrunnen/Wengen or Wilderswil ) would be a better base from Day 7 - Day 10 ?
- Is it feasible to include the First-Bachalpsee trial in any of the above days ?
- How does the overall itenerary look ? Since in October the temperature may decrease as the days pass, will it make any sense if we make our first base as Wengen/Lauterbrunnen and then move to Lucerne. Any modifications for a better experience will be great.