Solo travel ideas for 2-3 nights in Switzerland

• jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    17 December 2017 at 1:54:57 #813832

Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions on where to go in February 2018 in Switzerland for 2-3 nights?

I’m attending a symposium in Milan which ends on Saturday mid-day. Was hoping to travel to Switzerland from Milan and leave Switzerland on the following Tuesday.

I understand some constraints of being in Switzerland in February. Many of the furniculars in Lugano are closed during that period (even Lake Como in Italy -> many hotels and amenities are closed). Many Swiss Alps hotels do require a minimum 5 night stay due to the Swiss School holidays as well?

Just a heads up, this is not my first time to Switzerland. Have been to Zurich, Basel, Luzern, Bern, Geneva, Montreux, Jungfrau region and Zermatt. Was thinking of going to Zermatt or Grindelwald again but my favourite hotels are not accomodating 2-3 nights stays during this period.

Any further suggestions? Being able to conveniently travel from Milan would be a plus point. I have not booked my flight but am considering departing for home from Zurich.

I’m a non-skier but would prefer a place in the Alps instead of a city like Zurich, Lucerne, Bern etc.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2017 at 12:07:05 #872955

Hi Jonathan,

You could take the Bernina Express and stay at St. Moritz. We have some hotel suggestions as well.

From St. Moritz you travel via Chur to Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2017 at 15:27:36 #872956

>> Many Swiss Alps hotels do require a minimum 5 night stay due to the Swiss School holidays as well?

The school winter sport break in the Canton of Graubünden is 24 Feb to 4 Mar, so you might manage to miss that, depending on your exact dates of travel.

However, there is a major event on in St Moritz (White Turf horse racing on the frozen lake) on 4, 11, and 18 February 2018, so accommodation might be at a premium during those weekends.

You could look for accommodation at any town on the railway line between (say) Pontresina and Scuol if you have no luck with St Moritz.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 December 2017 at 14:13:28 #872957

Hi Jonatahn-

I just checked the website of the Hotel Bellevue-Wengen.

On a random weekend in February there are accepting 3 night bookings. Could not check your specific dates… did not know them.

I enjoyed my stay there in September, and Kim recommends it:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim/page/3

Exceptionally wee run, good kitchen, good prices and god value.

Single rooms are not large but the views are spectacular.

Slowoke

jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    18 December 2017 at 14:41:34 #872958

Thanks for the suggestion Chantel and for the heads up Alpenrose!

jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    18 December 2017 at 14:51:23 #872959

Thanks Slowpoke. I’m still exploring. Haven’t given up the Jungfrau Region and Zermatt totally.

I found another hotel in Zermatt available which I have stayed before though quite a lot more pricier than before!

Will explore the option of Wengen as well.

jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    22 December 2017 at 11:36:51 #872960

Dear all,

Would you all recommend staying at Lake Blausee during February? I had wanted to visit this place for some time but did not get the chance to.

Was considering staying at the Hotel Blausee as well.

Thanks and regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2017 at 15:12:03 #872961

Hi Jonathan,

Like many of these locations, I think that the weather plays a big role. Lake Blausee is at 887 m altitude. There might be no snow at all in February and mother nature is still asleep. If the weather is wet, it can be a bit grey. Like today. I just checked the webcam.

I can recommend the hotel. I’ve stayed in Klosterhotel St. Peterinsel which is leased by the same people and I loved it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 December 2017 at 15:16:30 #872962

Hi Chantal –

<<“I can recommend the hotel. I’ve stayed in Klosterhotel St. Peterinsel which is leased by the same people and I loved it.”>>

What did you think of the food?

I routinely stay in Ligerz and Sugiez ( now Bas-Vully) and went over for lunch one day. The meal was sufficiently mediocre that I’d never go back for a meal.

Perhaps I was there on the wrong day?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2017 at 17:09:19 #872963

I had actually a good experience. The last time I was there is 5 years ago though. Were you there recently?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 December 2017 at 18:12:45 #872964

<<“Were you there recently?”>>

At about the same time you were there. +/- a year or so.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2017 at 21:23:57 #872965

It is a pity. Because I think the place is lovely. I’m planning to visit it again next spring. Will let you know if I’m still happy with the food.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 December 2017 at 22:03:19 #872966

Hi Chantal-

<<“Because I think the place is lovely. I’m planning to visit it again next spring.”>>

It is tough to beat the location.

Here are a couple of other places you might want to check out:

Hotel Kreuz Ligerz:

kreuz-ligerz.ch/

Herr Mettler and his wife ( Frau Mettler -Teutsch) have a really nice inn. Very simple. The Teutsch family has vineyards close by.

The restaurant specializes in fish, and usually has fresh lake fish. Salt water fish come in from Zürich. No, the Zürichsee is not salt-water…just a port of entry for air-shipped fresh fish. Never had zeetong at the Kreuz, however.

Herr Mettler is the chef and he has a delicate hand.

The rooms are large and look out on the lake. It is true that the trains on the Bielerfuss line go past close by, but, at night, the double glass windows insulate the rooms from the sound.

My only hesitation in recommending it is that Herr Mettle has not been in good health recently, but he has been hard at work every time that I have been there over many, many years, and as recently as this last September. No worries about quality, just concerned that they may stop operating at some point. So many inns have done that…and the Mettler’s children don’t want to take it over.

A much more elegant place, with extremely friendly hosts, is the Hotel de l’Ours in Sugiez. They have their own boat landing for the lake boats, on the canal between Lac Neuchatel and the Murtensee.

http://www.hotel-ours.ch/en/

A quite good kitchen, a few very nice rooms, and an amazing wine cellar. Plenty of wines from Mt. Vully, also known as Wistenlacherberg. Theplace is extremely well run. The views are not as nice as those on Skt. Peters Insel. but a meal under the chestnuts in the warmer months is a quite nice.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2017 at 8:29:22 #872967

Thanks for the suggestions Slowpoke. I see you have an eye for nice places. I’m familiar with hotel ours. I’m always having a drink there after a walk in the area. I only know hotel Kreuz from the outside and had a look at the menu which looks indeed good with all the fish dishes. I love it when the fish comes fresh from the lake. The restaurant is on my priority list now.

jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    23 December 2017 at 8:55:46 #872968

Alright. I have made cancellable hotel reservations for Hotel Blausee, a hotel in Zermatt and a hotel in Grindelwald (in the event that the rooms run out).

Decisions, decisions, decisions….

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 December 2017 at 15:15:07 #872969

Hi Chantal-

It helps to have Swiss friends.

A friend in Zürich married his wife ( who is from Aarberg) in the church above Ligerz many years ago.

He pointed me to the church…which I had already found…. and the Kreuz.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 January 2018 at 18:26:40 #872970

Hi Chantal-

<<” I see you have an eye for nice places.”>>

Surely you have tried der Wilden Mann in Freiburg?

Perhaps you know it better as the “au Sauvage” in Fribourg, but it is in the still slightly German-speaking Altstadt. 😉

No matter what the language, the kitchen is excellent, and I had a very nice room at a reasonable price in September.

http://www.hotel-sauvage.ch/de/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2018 at 19:14:55 #872971

I have indeed Slowpoke. One of the best restaurants in Fribourg. In fact I walked passed it today, thinking about their “la chasse” (wild game) which is very good.

In general I can’t complain about the choice of restaurants in Fribourg and its surroundings.

Some of my favorites outside of the city of Fribourg:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 January 2018 at 20:08:52 #872972

Merci Chantal –

<<“Some of my favorites outside of the city of Fribourg:”>>

I’ll check them out next time I am nearby.

Although I have come from Spiez toward the west over the Jaun Pass, and pased through Broc and Bulle, I have never explored the area. It looks like to deserves some time.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Solo travel ideas for 2-3 nights in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.