Suggestions to improve MySwissAlps.com

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    17 November 2018 at 23:34:42 #881670

Hello Rockoyster,

<< Your concerns about cable cars and gondolas are unfounded. The operators will not run them in extreme or dangerous conditions. All forms of transport in Switzerland are extremely safe and professionally run.>> Amen to that ! I suspect that Switzerland is at or near the top of the list when it comes to public transportation safety. Thinking of rail transport as an example, it is true that there have been small incidents, usually a derailment, but these are extremely rare (there were a couple in March of 2017). I’ve heard of people who are afraid to fly for fear of the airplane crashing, but I have never heard of a Swiss who was afraid to take the train for fear of it having an accident.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    18 November 2018 at 0:01:55 #881671

Hello again,

Have you made any progress on making it possible for someone posting an attachment to delete it ? Just last night I posted a map in error and since I couldn’t remove it, it just stayed there.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 November 2018 at 2:33:37 #881672

Hi Peterli,

You can use the Contact page on the site to request a moderator to delete attachments posted in error.

It would be nice to be able to edit your own attachments but in the meantime that’s a workaround.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    18 November 2018 at 3:59:25 #881673

Hi Rockoyster,

I have contacted Arno about other things, but didn’t want to bother him about things like this. I once contacted him when I saw a post that was totally inappropriate and not relevant to this site . In fact, I saw one just the other day, but he had already beat me to it. When I went to “reply” to the post (all about fake passports and counterfeit money), it had already been removed. Thanks for the advice in any case. Unless I commit a serious blunder (always possible when I should be asleep) I will probably just let it slide.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 November 2018 at 13:16:00 #881674

Hi Peterli and Rockoyster,

Deleting an attachment is in the wish list along with other attachment related improvements. I can’t promise when this will be implemented. A lot of other features and pure IT upgrades have to be considered as well, along with the fact that the software supplier is considering to improve the forum, so in that case there would be no need to create such features from scratch. Meanwhile, please don’t hesitate to e-mail if anything needs to be edited or removed. Please include a link to the thread. I’ll be glad to assist. I like a neat and tidy forum as much as you do 🙂

Regarding spam posts: the best approach is to completely ignore such people. We’ll remove both the post and their account as soon as possible. However, if you think it’s taking too long or we may have missed it, feel free to e-mail us. I’ve been thinking about other approaches to spam, but they all come with their own set of disadvantages. For now the combination of automated and manual checks sort of works.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 April 2019 at 6:05:35 #881675

Hi Arno, Just in case you don’t see this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/a-specific-item-in-arnos-comments

Also have you extended the deadline for editing posts? I thought it was 1 hour but now seems longer.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2019 at 7:04:15 #881676

Hi Rockoyster,

I’ve seen it and will get to it 🙂 I haven’t extended the edit deadline. Not that I am aware of. Can you still edit posts you submitted yesterday, for example?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    19 April 2019 at 7:21:46 #881677

I thought posts could be edited as long as they have not been resd by anyone else, and not any more after that.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 April 2019 at 10:57:39 #881678

Can you still edit posts you submitted yesterday, for example?

I doubt it. I just noticed one post today that I am sure I was able to edit over two hours later.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    19 April 2019 at 13:42:05 #881679

Hello Arno,

I just saw what Snowman posted (“I thought posts could be edited as long as they have not been resd by anyone else, and not any more after that.”) Is this correct ? I sure hope not.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 April 2019 at 13:51:26 #881680

Hi Rockoyster-

<“”I use bitly.com/ quite a bit.

Not only can you save links, it shortens them and you can add keywords to group links by topic for later searching.

eg bit.ly/2qdbLqR"??

I have been impressed by the ease of posting those shortcuts.

However, they have a serious disadvantage for users of the forum. You have to open them to see what they are.

On the exceedingly rare occasions when I am considering adding a link to follow up one of your posts, I am unable to see at a glance what you have linked.

In contrast, I’ve found it quite useful to scan the sometimes long lists in some of of Maria’s posts, when I wonder if there is anything that I might usefully add.

So , I’d support Peterli’s concerns.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2019 at 14:15:53 #881681

Hi Peterli,

You should be able to edit your post for one hour. After that it’s no longer possible. Whether anyone has read or replied to the post does not matter. If you see this not working for you, please feel free to let me know. You should not be able to edit your older posts.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 April 2019 at 14:29:12 #881682

Hi Arno-

<<“You should be able to edit your post for one hour. After that it’s no longer possible.”>>

Your timer is erratic. I have modified postings after more than one hour has passed. Sometimes. Sometimes, it is not possible.

The residue of old Compuserve forums that Snowman and I still belong to has a different process.

There, you can modify your post at anytime until someone has replied to it. Not suggesting a change, but it is actually a thoughtful approach. It can be confusing if someone modifies a post after the thread has moved on.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2019 at 14:39:22 #881683

Hi Slowpoke,

Interesting. I will put this on my to-do list for the next update.

PnBA
    Participant
    51 posts
    20 April 2019 at 12:09:09 #881684

There is something unusual about page navigation on this forum. Normally, there are at least 6 ways to navigate when using a Firefox browser on a Win10 system:

1. Up / down arrow keys
    2. page up / page down keys
    3. Home / End keys
    4. ctrl-F search
    5. Scroll wheel on a mouse
    6. Move slider bar

I am finding that the first 3 do not work, or they yield unexpected actions (e.g. page down actually moves the page up). Ctrl-F searches work, but the search result is placed at the bottom of the page, and one has to go to a mouse to read below that. That’s bad enough on a desktop with a mouse, but on a laptop the situation is worse because one is relegated either to a delicate and flaky multi-finger touchpad operation, or the most primitive of all – two-hand slider bar operation.

Maybe it’s different for people on Apple devices or who use a Chrome browser, but I am in a large computer environment where those are not permitted (for both security and functional reasons). I don’t do enough html coding to recognize the nature of the problem, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s merely a single line of code causing the problem.

The regular pages on MySwissAlps.com behave normally – it is only the forum pages that are squirrely.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2019 at 12:21:54 #881685

Hi PNBA –

I’ve noted some of those odd behaviors, particularly with unexpected page movements. . Erratic, however.

I just tried the first 3 of your list on my Win7/Firefox desktop system and the problems do not reproduce for me.

At least some other Windows conventions are not supported either. For example, the <shift+delete> key action doesn’t work.

Trivial, but noticeable.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 April 2019 at 13:59:44 #881686

Hi PnBA,

Thanks for reporting. I could reproduce your point 1 to 3 on Firefox, sort of. What I think happens is that the mouse focus is on the search box in the top of the page by default. I clicked on the forum thread once, shifting the focus there, and then all of those keys worked for me. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing though.

PnBA
    Participant
    51 posts
    20 April 2019 at 14:23:26 #881687

Arno – you are exactly correct! Changing the focus with a click within the frame where forum postings appear reduces the problem to an arcane, but trivial workaround.

It also affirms my suspicion that changing one parameter in a single line of code would eliminate the problem.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2019 at 21:43:23 #881688

I don’t do enough html coding to recognize the nature of the problem, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s merely a single line of code causing the problem.

LOL.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2019 at 22:34:10 #881689

The mouse focus is a Windows setting isn’t it?

Signed; Happy Mac User

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 156 total)
  • The thread ‘Suggestions to improve MySwissAlps.com’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.