Suitable train ticket from Zurich to Livigno?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2017 at 9:46:10 #810670

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are traveling with our baby to Livigno in March this year and I am trying to figure out which train tickets would be best suitable for our trip. We will be flying to Zurich so we will need to travel by train to the border and take a bus from there (if I understood correctly). Do I purchase a point to point transfer train ticket? Which bus do we take from the border to Livigno and do we have to purchase the bus tickets in advance to be sure of seats on the bus?

Thank you!

Marianne

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    26 January 2017 at 14:10:59 #858469

Hi Marianne. Thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

If this is the only Swiss journey you plan to make, you’re best off getting regular train and bus tickets. The timetable provides all details for your journey. First you need to catch a train to Zernez. You can arrange for these train tickets online beforehand or buy them at the railway station of Zurich Airport.

Next, there’s the bus from Zernez (close to the border but still in Switzerland) to Livigno in Italy. Seat reservations or pre-purchased tickets aren’t necessary, you can just buy tickets from the bus driver or at the Zernez station.

Note that if you also need to return from Livigno to Zurich Airport, a Swiss Transfer Ticket will be cheaper than regular full-fare tickets. It’s easier as well, as it covers the entire route without the need of any further tickets.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2017 at 15:41:56 #858470

Thank you for the reply and information Annika!

Yes, we will be returning from Livigno to Zurich a week later, so I will opt for the Swiss Transfer Ticket then.

Thank you for the advice!

Marianne

• The thread ‘Suitable train ticket from Zurich to Livigno?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.