August 10 day Swiss trip – plans and questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 4:52:20 #816394

Hello! I am new to this forum and I seem to find everyone very friendly so I am asking for any recommendation to my itinerary below. Pls be honest with your comments. Gladly appreciated! I am traveling with my husband, we’re in our mid 40’s. By the way, we will be coming from Cologne, Germany (to visit our daughter) but we are from California, USA. Here we go!

8/2: Day 1 – Zurich Airport – Lucerne: Chapel Bridge and Old Town (easy travel day)

8/3: Day 2 – Lucern- Lake cruise over to Weggis, cable car to Rigi Kaltbad and train to Rigi Kulm, then down to Vitznau with the train and boat on to Flüelen, then either boat or train to Luzern

8/4: Day 3 – Lucern – Mt. Titlis (return)

8/5: Day 4 – Lucerne – Interlaken Ost via Golden Pass line (single); Interlaken Ost – Wengen (single) check in our hotel in Wengen

8/6: Day 5 – Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald (single); Grindelwald – Interlaken Ost (single)

8/7: Day 6- Interlaken Ost – Schilthorn (return)

8/8: Day 7- Another day open for recommendation *** stay in Wengen/Murren

8/9: Day 8- Interlaken Ost via Spiez and Zweisimmen on the Goldenness line to Montreux (single); Chillon Castle and lakeside walk. This is the last day of our 8-day STP. Am I understanding it correctly?

8/10: Day 9 – Montreux to Gruyeres (cheese factory) OR Broc (chocolate); I prefer to get to Geneva the same day or just skip Gruyeres and go to Geneva and relax – take a boat trip around Lake Geneva instead?

8/11: Day 10 – Geneva to Dusseldorf 9 am flight

Additional questions: If I am buying the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, it will only cover our Day 1-Day 8 of our trip, is that correct? What do you recommend to do for our Day 9 in Montreux to Gruyeres and to Geneva transfer? Should we rent a car for 1 day, picking up from Montreux and drop off at Geneva airport? Pls help! Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 5:30:52 #887131

Hi Mwright, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> 8/8: Day 7- Another day open for recommendation *** stay in Wengen/Murren

What about a scenic PostBus trip from Grindelwald to Meiringen over the Grosse Scheidegg?

If interested, you can read my trip report about it (with photos) here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-over-the-grosse-scheidegg-by-bus

>> 8/9 This is the last day of our 8-day STP. Am I understanding it correctly?

Yes, it would be if you started using it from 2 August.

>> If I am buying the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, it will only cover our Day 1-Day 8 of our trip, is that correct? What do you recommend to do for our Day 9 in Montreux to Gruyeres and to Geneva transfer?

I would just get point-to-point tickets for your first day if the only travel you intend to do is from Zürich Airport to Luzern. That will cost CHF 30, probably less than your final day will cost if you go to Gruyères and/or Broc. Then you would use your Swiss Travel Pass from 3-10 August.

The rest of your itinerary looks good.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 5:54:47 #887132

Thank you so much Alpenrose. That sounds practical to buy a one-way ticket from Zurich to Luzern and start my Day 1 in Luzern. I will check out your post of Grosse Scheidegg.

Thanks!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 5:58:08 #887133

How far is Gruyeres from Montreux and what train do we take? And how to transfer from Gruyeres to Geneva?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 6:56:14 #887134

>> How far is Gruyeres from Montreux and what train do we take? And how to transfer from Gruyeres to Geneva?

The Swiss Timetable will tell you everything you need to know, including where to change trains, platform numbers etc.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo.

Montreux to Gruyères will take about 1.25 hours, then it is about 2 hours from Gruyères to Genève.

If you also wanted to go to the chocolate factory at Broc, the station you need is Broc-Fabrique, which is about 30 minutes from Gruyères. Then it would be about 2.5 hours back to Genève from Broc.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 13:47:33 #887135

Day 6 ..you could check out of Interlakenn Ost and move your base to Murren (which is enroute to Schilthorn). You could return to Murren and trek down to Gimmelwald (arguably the smallest and authentic Swiss village)..and maybe trek to Schtelerberg the next day and visit the falls in Lauterbrunnen (Trumbeltech..if got the spelling correct).

Both Murren and Gimmelwald are traffic free …and you could soak in the sites . Quite a few hotels with good alphine views in Murren.

As far as the chocolate and Cheese factory go …didnt fancy either of them per se . But the journey to them and particularly the quaint town and Railway station at Broc are an interesting experience .

Trust this helps

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 17:45:09 #887136

Hi Mwright,

For day 7 look at our activity suggestions for the Jungfrau region here (any could be done as a day trip): https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities

I would not try to rent a car one-way ever and the trains are easy to use and get around to those towns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 20:03:12 #887137

Travelholic6, thanks for your recommendations for Day 6. I will check it out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 20:07:26 #887138

Thanks Lucas, my trip is getting more organized. Thanks for the advise of not renting a car.. should be fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 23:40:23 #887139

I wouldn’t bother checking out of Interlaken for one night in Mürren or Wengen – time taken to check out from one hotel and into another including packing time etc. would be counter-productive.

Schynige Platte, First, Brienzer Rothorn or Männlichen if you want another mountain experience on day 7. Or keep day 7 as a back up day for your day 5 and 6 plans in case weather is unsuitable for mountain trips. Have a different plan available for one of those days such as Ballenberg Open Air Museum or a boat trip on Thunersee possibly stopping off at a castle like Oberhofen and or Spiez or at end of cruise Thun castle. Or go by train to visit a castle then return by boat.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 0:21:49 #887140

Thanks Maggie. I heard about the Ballenberg Open Air Museum as a must-see. So many things to do! We will be at the Hotel & Spa Victoria-Lauberhorn in Wengen, and it looks like a great place to relax with their indoor spa/pool so I would probably just stay there and take a trip to Murren for the day. Castle visits seem magical, I’ll definitely check on that.

Do you know of a site where you can actually check which attractions are included for the Swiss Travel Pass? Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 5:32:49 #887141

Hi Mwright121,

On the Swiss Travel Pass look here for where its valid: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Arno
    15482 posts
    4 June 2018 at 6:21:02 #887142

That’s Trümmelbach you meant there Travelholic6 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 8:24:03 #887143

>> Do you know of a site where you can actually check which attractions are included for the Swiss Travel Pass?

Do you mean places like Ballenberg, and castles?

You can find that information here:

http://www.museumspass.ch/en/ where-to-use-my-museum-pass/

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘August 10 day Swiss trip – plans and questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.