Summer attire in Switzerland

• Liz_G
    Participant
    23 posts
    24 June 2022 at 18:53:03 #827587

My trip to Switzerland is coming up in 3 weeks. Being that it is summer, I want to know what I should pack when we are not doing a mountain excursion. Do locals wear shorts and t-shirts? You see, we went to Tokyo a couple of years ago, and we found out quickly that even though the climate was hot, only tourists wore shorts so we stood out. I don’t want that to happen again! Please advice.

Liz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    25 June 2022 at 6:25:51 #943541

Hi Liz,

Yes, in summer t-shirts and shorts are common here.

Be sure to pack a lightweight jacket for your mountain excursion.

Regards,

Anna

Liz_G
    Participant
    23 posts
    25 June 2022 at 12:37:29 #943542

Regarding the mountain excursions, we plan to go to Mt Titlis. It’s my understanding that there’s snow all year round up there. So I do need to bring a heavier jacket? How cold does it get up there this time of year?

Liz

Liz_G
    Participant
    23 posts
    25 June 2022 at 12:40:12 #943543

One more thing, I’m looking at the weather for Zurich, Lucerne, etc. and it’s really rainy right now. Is that normal? Is it rainy season over there now?

Anna
    6362 posts
    25 June 2022 at 14:31:38 #943544

Hi Liz,

In summer, the heat from the sun makes it really warm even if there’s snow on the mountains. It’s up to you to bring a winter jacket but definitely bring along a jacket or a sweater with a hood, as the weather in the mountains can change quickly.

The average temp in the cities now is about 25 deg C (close to 30 deg in the last few days), slightly lower in the mountains.

Regarding the weather, the forecast is 70 – 80% rain this week. It rained last night but today it has been sunny all day. The forecast is reliable up to some point I guess. If it rains, it usually doesn’t last the whole day. But if you are concerned, it’s good to make alternative plans just in case.

regards,

Anna

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2022 at 9:23:42 #943545

Hi LizG,

The current weather forecasts have no predictive value for your stay that’s coming up in about 3 weeks yet. You can start checking them about 3 days ahead, as that’s when they start to get more or less reliable: http://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast.

You can read about general seasonal patterns here:

• The thread ‘Summer attire in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.