Base town before attending camp in Torgon?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 10:13:08 #816156

Hi, I along with my Wife and Son (9Yrs old) are visiting Switzerland by the End of June to drop my son to a summer camp for 15 days. We fly into Geneva airport and need to make our way to Torgon (where the camp is located). We need help with the following: Where to make our base for the 3 days we are in Geneva considering the proximity to the camp, what is the most economical way to travel to torgon. which is the best rail pass suited for us? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 13:40:10 #886003

Hi Dhiraj90 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So the 3 of you have 3 days together and will be or want to stay in Geneva? Or somewhere closer to Torgon? What are you hoping to do for those 3 days?

To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 18:01:25 #886004

Hi Thank you for your reply, as for the 3 days there we will be leaving our son at the camp to start his session and we will remain in the area for another 2 days to take in the sites. Can u suggest where to stay given the location of the camp is in Torgon !! Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 19:43:37 #886005

Ah I see.

Well i think Montreux makes the most sense for that area. If you are staying around the Lake Geneva area for all 3 days then the Regional Pass – Lake Geneva would make the most sense for you to get around economically. Though this of course depends on your final itinerary – figure that first and then you can decide on the best rail pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 7:15:03 #886006

Dear Lucas,

Thank you for your prompt reply and suggestion. I was considering Montreux as well, however, was concerned about how to make my way to Torgon from there as Taxi will be Expensive, can you suggest any alternate mode (Train/Bus/Shuttle etc.). As regards the Rail Pass, we intend to make at least 6 journeys (To and fro) to Torgon

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 8:45:29 #886007

You don’t need a taxi at all. You can take a train and bus to get there and all around Switzerland (about 1 hour)
    Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan any trip: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable
    The Regional Pass – Lake Geneva will cover those trips to Torgon as well as many others in the area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 10:51:44 #886008

Dear Lucas,

Thank you for your prompt reply, appreciate same. Good to know that all Bus and Train Trips are covered in the pass. Can we buy the pass at the airport?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 13:55:38 #886009

You can buy it at the Geneva airport yes, or online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/regionalpasslake geneva/price

Be sure to study the PDF map for the rail pass to see the coverage area.
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/regionalpasslake geneva/validity

• The thread ‘Base town before attending camp in Torgon?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.