Saver Day Pass + Half fare card + Junior Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 5:19:12 #815146

We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children – 13 & 11 years old). We are having a 2 day stop over (May 11 and May 12) in Zurich and would like to visit Mount Titlis and Jungfraujoch. We have our flights and hotel in Zurich.

I did calculations on different rail passes such as Half fare card, Travel Pass, Family Pass etc and decided that the below is the best combination. Please let me know if I miss anything in my calculation.

• 2 Half fare card for 2 adults
    • 2 Junior card for 2 children. It seems that family card is not eligible for Super Day Pass
    • 2 super day pass for Day 1 for 2 adults and children travel free with junior card
    • 2 super day pass for Day 2
    • Half fare card from Engelberg to Mount Titlis. Children travel free with junior card
    • Half fare card from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch. Children travel free with junior card

Will the above pass combination work or did I miss anything. Like junior card for Mount Titlis and Jungfraujoch.

Finally is Mount Titlis and Jungfraujoch is the best option from Zurich. I understand that around 2.5 hours journey each way to go to Mount Titlis and Jungfraujoch.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 7:16:20 #880979

Hello gadis and Welcome to MySwiss Alps,

First off it takes 4 hours from Zurich to the top of Jungfraujoch and around 2.5 hours to Titlis.

By Super Day Pass do you mean a Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details)? There is no point buying one of those for Titlis. A return half-fare ticket to Engelberg not much less than a Saver Day Pass. Even for Jungfraujoch the savings eroded by the need to buy the Junior Travelcard. I suppose it depends if you want to do anymore travel around Lucerne on the same day as your Titlis trip.

All seems a bit complicated. I haven’t done the calculations to work out if the Swiss Half-fare Card is the best deal but I would say all you need is a Swiss Half-fare Card with a free Swiss Family Card for the kids.

Or have you even priced a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass which usually works out better than a Swiss Half-Fare Card for short visits? It would certainly be good value if you were happy to go to Schilthorn (for free) instead of the expensive Jungfraujoch.

But if you have done the sums and are happy that your plan above is the best deal for you then go for it.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 10:00:30 #880980

I thought about it some more and counter-intuitive as it may seem I would be amazed if the 3-Day Swiss Travel Pass plus Swiss Family Card is not your best option.

A Swiss Half Fare Card retails for CHF120 but actually costs CHF240 before you make ANY savings. A 3-day Swiss Travel Pass costs CHF225 and most trips are free or discounted thereafter.

Convince me I’m wrong. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 12:06:50 #880981

Rockoyster,

As you know we can get Super Day Pass around CHF 29 per person per day if we buy in advance. As my dates are final, I am thinking of buying these passes (assuming that I will get the best price and using Half fare card).

http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html

I need half fare card as it provides 50% discount Mount Titlis and Jungfraujoch.

Together with half fare card and super day pass, it will cost me CHF 178 (120 + 29 + 29) for 2 days per person.

I read somewhere that Super Day Pass does not work with family card, hence I need to buy junior card for children. Can you confirm that this is correct?

Assuming my understanding is correct, my total cost is CHF 416 (178 + 178 + 30 + 30) for a family of 2 adults and 2 children with junior card. This is less than 3 day Swiss Pass which is CHF 450 (225 + 225). Also with Swiss Pass we can only get 25% discount to Jungfraujoch, where as half fare card you will get 50% discount. This is equivalent to CHF 93 for 2 adults.

So with Half fare + Super Day Saver option I will save CHF 127 when compared to 3-day Swiss Travel Pass.

Please let me know if there are any wrong assumptions or calculations.

Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 20:31:19 #880982

I cannot fault your calculations.

Hope you can get the Saver (not Super) Day Passes at the best price and the weather is favourable for your Jungfraujoch ascent. 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 4:51:25 #880983

Hi Gadis,

Yes, the only worry for you is weather on Jungfraujoch if you are set on your travel date – it can be cloudy up there and the views aren’t good when that happens.

Keep an eye on the weather for all local mountains in the area;I would pick the one with the best looking weather that day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 5:44:04 #880984

Rockoyster, thanks for your confirmation. I meant Saver Day Pass and not Super Day Pass.

Regarding weather, if the weather is not good on the day for Jungfraujoch, my plan B is to do the Glacier Express. MySwissAlps recommends the following trip:

From Zurich: take a train to Chur and board the Glacier Express there. Get off the train in Brig. Then take a train back to Zurich. This day trip takes 8 to 9 hours. If you get off the Glacier Express in Andermatt instead of Brig the trip takes 6.5 to 7.5 hours.

One question on this trip, can I do the seat reservation on the day of the journey. This journey is my plan B.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 6:13:57 #880985

People normally book the Glacier Express several week ahead of travel date. You would be extremely lucky to get a seat on the day. You can always follow the same route on regular trains.

You need Chur to Brig via Disentis and Andermatt. If you want a shorter trip you could just as far as Andermatt. From there take a train back to Zurich via Göschenen OR go to Flüelen and catch a lake steamer back to Lucerne – same as the boat part of the very scenic Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) route.

Chur to Andermatt over the Oberalp Pass is the best part of the Glacier Express route IMHO. Don’t expect to see any glaciers.

Plan C could be to follow the Gotthard Bernina Circular Tour (http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/promotions /gotthard-bernina-circular-tour) route on regular trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 6:36:34 #880986

Thanks for your recommendation.

Another question on Day 1, I am planning to visit Mount Titlis (my children enjoys the cable car and gondola). For Day 2 do you recommend Jungfraujoch or Glacier Express. I am assuming that from Mount Titlis we will get similar scenic view like Jungfraujoch. If this is the case will it be better go for Glacier Express.

Alternatively can you recommend other activities that are must to visit in Switzerland. We are not much into museums.

Sorry for too many questions. It is hard to plan for 2 days with so many options.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 6:44:38 #880987

Hi gadis,

It’s hard to say which one will appeal to someone else. Jungfraujoch is a different experience from Titlis. But in my opinion overpriced and over-hyped. But how good are your kids at being stuck in a train for hours on end?

This is where I was going with my Swiss Travel Pass theory. If you ditch Jungfraujoch and instead go to Schiltorn (free with STP) then you could easily simplify all that Saver Day Pass and Junior Travel Card complexity. I fact if you are considering either plan B or plan C then definitely reconsider the 3-day STP.

It would also offer the most last minute decision flexibility.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 8:52:34 #880988

Thanks for your recommendation of Schiltorn. It seems to be a good option over Jungfraujoch. Will Schiltorn have snow in May second week? As you know kids enjoy snow. As you said train trip is not a good option for kids.

I agree that Saver Day pass adds complexity and needs proper planning.Let me think whether the savings worth the complexity.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 9:32:41 #880989

Pretty sure you’ll get snow at http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/mountain-schilthorn-piz-gloria.html and the kids will love the Thrill Walk at Birg. http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/thrill-walk.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 9:39:06 #880990

Hi gadis,

I would go to Titlis and Schilthorn, instead of Jungfraujoch, personally.

Please be aware that you cannot see any glacier on board the GEX, and the panoramic train is not “Express” – It’s known as the slowest express train in the world. Regular train is an option. You can enjoy the same scenery without any reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 0:17:25 #880991

Thanks MaRock. I am also thinking of Schilthorn instead of Jungfraujoch.

As a plan B when there is rain, I will use regular trains to go from Chur to Andermatt.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 April 2018 at 5:03:28 #880992

It’s not free but there are some fun things for the kids at First which you can reach from Grindelwald – http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/tag/adventure-fun/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 15:14:01 #880993

Thanks for your recommendation. I have few more questions regarding sightseeing and things to do. I will start a new thread.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 17:30:46 #880994

“I read somewhere that Super Day Pass does not work with family card, hence I need to buy junior card for children. Can you confirm that this is correct?”

@gadis:

About the Swiss Half Fare Card (from this website):

All information about the Swiss Half Fare Card is here. Let’s start with a summary:

You get a 50% discount on tickets for trains, buses, boats, city transport and mountain transport;

You can optionally buy additional 1-day travelpasses;

The validity of the card is one month;

You can purchase 1st or 2nd class discounted train tickets;

Children travel along for free.

Based on this it seems that if you get the half fare cards, then you don’t need the junior travelcard to buy Saver Day Pass. What am I missing?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 18:11:25 #880995

Hi Vishalg and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Correct, the Swiss Family Card doesn’t work in combination with the Saver Day Pass, unless you have a Swiss Half Fare Card. Read more about the Saver Day Pass restrictions here: http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 18:18:19 #880996

Hi Chantal,

Thanks for you quick response.

I looked at the restrictions link once more. I believe I understand things clearly now, but, just to be sure…

I will be traveling with a 10 year old child. If I have a Half Fare Card, then I need to make sure I also request a Swiss Family Card (free of charge) that allows my child to travel free with me. In addition, I can choose to get a Saver Day Pass which might get me (an adult) a further discount. Of course, the child continues to travel free because we have the Half Fare Card, and therefore, also, the free Swiss Family Card.

Correct?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 19:03:09 #880997

Hi Vishalg,

Correct. You should get the Swiss Family Card which is free of charge and your child will travel for free. You will get the discount on the Saver Day Pass because of your Swiss Half Fare Card

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 21:40:07 #880998

Chantal,

As I was just running through the purchase process for the Saver Day Pass to get a hang of it…I noticed that they ask for passenger information. I added my name and selected the discount option as Half Fare Card.I assume I don’t need to add my child’s name to the passenger list. When I try to add him, the discount option for him automatically defaults to No Discount, and an additional Saver Day Pass is added to checkout (making it a total of two). I would have thought the checkout process would be smart enough to recognize that if an adult is traveling with a half fare card, the child is free. Unless, of course, as I said, they are not expecting you to add the child to the list.

Any clarifications would be highly appreciated.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘Saver Day Pass + Half fare card + Junior Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.