Super Saver Tickets vs Swiss Travel Pass

• drhani76
    Participant
    9 posts
    28 January 2018 at 0:38:56 #814176

Hello,

I plan to travel with my husband and mother during spring this year specifically late April to early May. We plan to enter Switzerland from Germany. I will be staying in Fussen. I plan to return the car at Friedrishafen.

From there we will take public transport to Switzerland. I am in the middle of doing itinerary. I already book a place to stay for 3 nights at Interlaken (from 28/4/16 and check out on 1/5/18).

I am trying to find the cheapest way to travel from Friedrichshafen. The option is either to take a train from Friedrichshafen to Interlaken OST. It will cost us Euro 163.20 (wih seat reservation). But it requires 3 change of train which is a bit troublesome.

Another option is to take Flixbus to Zurich which will cost us Euro 59.70. From Zurich, I plan to get a supersaver tickets to Interlaken OST. Unfortunately despite having able to see the train options, I am unable to see the price for purchase. It’s stated not available for early booking.

May I know how early I can purchase supersaver tickets? I would like to compare point to point journey using supersaver tickets with swiss pass. I already booked a chalet for 3 nights at Interlaken. I plan to cover Bernese Oberland and maybe Jungfraujoch. I love to see beautiful scenery and flowers. From Switzerland I plan to go to Paris.

Which is the most convenient city in Swiss with fastest connection to Paris? Was it Geneva? My option to travel is either Swiss Pass 3 days plus 1 day with pass or Swiss Pass 4 days. Can you advise which area I should cover during this short period? I also love to see Matterhorn but I am not sure whether time is allow. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 1:59:50 #875297

Hello drhani76 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Are you using the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Supersaver tickets may be purchased no more than 30 days before the desired date of travel.

Word of caution with Supersaver Tickets. They are not always available and even if you do get one they apply to a specific departure on a specific day. If for whatever reason you miss the train you will need to buy another ticket. Another option is the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) which can work out quite cost-effective and gives you pretty much unlimited travel on regular trains for 1 day.

Swiss trains don’t need reservations.

From Interlaken your best connection to Paris would be via Basel. You can use the Swiss Timetable to check.

Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

drhani76
    Participant
    9 posts
    29 January 2018 at 22:19:28 #875298

Thank you for your advise. Do you think it i possible if upon check out from chalet in Interlaken, I take golden pass line till montrex, hang around the area and then take train to geneva. from geneva I take train to paris. Is it a long day? Another question I would like to know is whether cable car to mountainous area is available during late april such as jungfrajoch, mount rigi, zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 23:39:48 #875299

>> I plan to travel with my husband and mother during spring this year specifically late April to early May. We plan to enter Switzerland from … Friedrishafen … 3 nights at Interlaken (from 28/4/16 and check out on 1/5/18) … train from Friedrichshafen to Interlaken OST … Euro 163.20 (wih seat reservation). But it requires 3 change of train … Flixbus to Zurich … Euro 59.70.

Are you planning your trip from Friedrichshafen to Interlaken Ost with the Deutsche Bahn timetable?

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/ /bin/query2.exe/en?rt=1

I can see a service departing Friedrichshafen on 28 April at 9:13, arriving Interlaken Ost at 13:57, with one change of train at Basel Bad. The quoted fare is 93,30 EUR (2nd class), but seat reservation is not available on the German sector. Deutsche Bahn offer bookings up to 6 months in advance.

If you have not used Flixbus before, I suggest you read some reviews on their services before booking.

>> I plan to cover Bernese Oberland and maybe Jungfraujoch. I love to see beautiful scenery and flowers.

Late April-early May is a bit early for flowers in the alps.

>> I also love to see Matterhorn but I am not sure whether time is allow.

Rockoyster gave you the link to the Swiss Timetable. Use that to see how long it will take, and whether the travel time suits you.

The cableway from Zermatt to Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise is closed for maintenance from 30 April until 11 May inclusive. The cogwheel train to the Gornergrat will be operating.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2018 at 0:00:06 #875300

>> Do you think it i possible if upon check out from chalet in Interlaken, I take golden pass line till montrex, hang around the area and then take train to geneva. from geneva I take train to paris. Is it a long day?

Yes, it will be a long day (10.5 to 11 hours), with 5 or 6 changes. Use the Swiss Timetable to plan this journey and decide for yourself whether it suits you.

Due to construction work on the Golden Pass line between 19 March and 1 June 2018, there will be substitute buses for the sector between Château-d’Oex and Montbovon (a stretch of about 10km), and you won’t be able to make reservations between Zweisimmen and Montreux. You can put your luggage into the luggage compartment underneath the bus during the replacement-bus sector.

>> Another question I would like to know is whether cable car to mountainous area is available during late april such as jungfrajoch, mount rigi, zermatt.

• For Zermatt, see my previous post above.
    • Cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp is closed for maintenance from 30 April until 4 May. During this time, you can travel to Mürren and the Schilthorn via cable car from Stechelberg.
    • Cable car from Wengen to Männlichen is closed for maintenance from 3 April until 31 May.
    • Gondola from Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen is closed for maintenance from 3 April until 25 May.
    • Funicular Mürren to Allmendhubel is closed from 9 April until 22 June.
    • Train from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte does not recommence operation after the winter break until 26 May.
    • Trümmelbach Falls will be open.

Luzern area

• The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm recommences operation after the winter break in early-mid May. If it is not operating when you are there, you can go up and back via the cableway from Kriens.
    • All modes of transport to the Rigi will be operating.
    • The gondolas to Titlis will be operating.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Super Saver Tickets vs Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.