Supersaver rail tickets with SBB app

• neodad
    Participant
    7 posts
    18 October 2017 at 13:57:13 #813525

My wife and I are traveling on a half-fare card, and I am using the SBB app. When I pull up a fare for a particular route, I sometimes find an offer of a Supersaver fare which is significantly cheaper. If I buy the ticket through the app, do I need to be able to print the ticket, or will I be able to get an e-ticket for use on the train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 October 2017 at 21:13:56 #871062

When I was travelling I used the app to buy class upgrades. I was able to just show the inspector the barcode on the app. Pretty sure same would apply to super saver tickets. Note that super saver tickets apply to a specific trip. If you miss the train you’ll need another ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2017 at 6:20:38 #871063

Hi Neodad,

Yes you can buy super saver tickets on the app and just show the conductor (he’ll scan the bar code). When you can find them they are often a very good deal, but as rockoyster notes they are only valid for the specific train you buy them for.

If you buy a regular ticket with your Swiss Half Fare Card you can take any train that day to your destination. Also if you have connections on your route and you miss a connection you will have to buy another ticket (unless the train is delayed).

neodad
    Participant
    7 posts
    19 October 2017 at 13:34:05 #871064

Thank you for the advice. There are so many details not mentioned on the app and website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2017 at 7:04:36 #871065

Yes, it is a bit of a learning curve on the app and website. SBB online is focused on locals and not set up as well for tourists.

• The thread ‘Supersaver rail tickets with SBB app’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.