Supersaver rail tickets with SBB app

Supersaver rail tickets with SBB app

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
neodad
neodad
7 posts
Oct 18, 2017 - 1:57 PM

My wife and I are traveling on a half-fare card, and I am using the SBB app. When I pull up a fare for a particular route, I sometimes find an offer of a Supersaver fare which is significantly cheaper. If I buy the ticket through the app, do I need to be able to print the ticket, or will I be able to get an e-ticket for use on the train?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3392 posts
expert
Oct 18, 2017 - 9:13 PM in reply to neodad

When I was travelling I used the app to buy class upgrades. I was able to just show the inspector the barcode on the app. Pretty sure same would apply to super saver tickets. Note that super saver tickets apply to a specific trip. If you miss the train you’ll need another ticket.

Lucas
Lucas
5608 posts
expert &
Oct 19, 2017 - 6:20 AM in reply to neodad

Hi Neodad,

Yes you can buy super saver tickets on the app and just show the conductor (he'll scan the bar code). When you can find them they are often a very good deal, but as rockoyster notes they are only valid for the specific train you buy them for.

If you buy a regular ticket with your Swiss Half Fare Card you can take any train that day to your destination. Also if you have connections on your route and you miss a connection you will have to buy another ticket (unless the train is delayed).

neodad
neodad
7 posts
Oct 19, 2017 - 1:34 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you for the advice. There are so many details not mentioned on the app and website.

Lucas
Lucas
5608 posts
expert &
Oct 20, 2017 - 7:04 AM in reply to neodad

Yes, it is a bit of a learning curve on the app and website. SBB online is focused on locals and not set up as well for tourists.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018