Driving Susten, Furka & Gotthard Early/Mid June?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
MNTraveler
MNTraveler
4 posts
May 20, 2017 - 2:44 AM

Hello/Hallo -

I am planning a trip to the Switzerland area in June with my dad. We are renting a car in Munich and want to do mountain passes. As of now, the plan would take us through Susten, Furka and Gotthard Pass o June 13th, about 3 and a half weeks from today. I see that in the recent past these particular passes have opened up ahead of schedule, early/mid May in some cases (May 20th for Gotthard last year), but sometimes are closed until the 12th-13th of June. Webcams show a lot of snow as of now.

I know it is impossible to say with any certainty, but I am wondering what the odds/chances are that these passes will be open on/before June 13th?

Thank you in advance!

Last modified on May 20, 2017 - 2:52 AM by MNTraveler
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 20, 2017 - 6:09 AM in reply to MNTraveler

Hi MNTraveler,

You might be lucky.

The Furka Pass is partly open now on the Urner side to Tiefenbach, and is expected to be fully open by 2 June, give or take a week.

The Susten Pass is partly open on the Bernese side to Steingletscher and partly open on the Urner side to Kleinsustli/Sustenbrüggli. It is expected to be fully open by 9 June, give or take a week.

The Gotthard Pass is still closed, with no expected opening date announced. You can go through the tunnel instead though.

You can keep up-to-date with expected opening dates here:

www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/

Alpenrose

Last modified on May 20, 2017 - 6:11 AM by Removed user
MNTraveler
MNTraveler
4 posts
May 21, 2017 - 6:41 PM in reply to Removed user

Great thank you for the reply!

I specifically pushed this trip back by 10 days in hopes it would ensure safe passage on all the high mountain passes. My fingers are definitely crossed at this point!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018