Swiss Half Fare Card for Zurich and Liechtenstein

Swiss Half Fare Card for Zurich and Liechtenstein

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
jkbalaji
jkbalaji
2 posts
Aug 25, 2017 - 2:20 PM

Hi

We are family of 4 (son age 7 and daughter age 17) travelling for couple of days in Zurich at end of this month. Based on research I find that the Swiss Half Fare card is the best option for us to buy specific tickets whilst we are there. My query is - do I need to buy one Half Fare card for all of us or should I buy separate for each of us?

As additional query - my wife will stay on for few more days and can the Half Fare card be used for train journeys to Lichtenstein as well?

Many thanks

Lucas
Lucas
3339 posts
expert &
Aug 25, 2017 - 5:03 PM in reply to jkbalaji

Hi jkbalaji and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So you and your wife as well as your oldest child will need to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can then get the free Swiss Family Card that covers your youngest child (totally free travel everywhere).

The easiest option for you would be to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online before you travel. This way it is emailed to your for printing at home (and you have an electronic back-up) and it is ready to use as soon as you enter Switzerland. The pass is valid in Liechtenstein as well yes - you can see a map of where the Swiss Half Fare Card covers here.

Lucas

Last modified on Aug 25, 2017 - 5:03 PM by Lucas
jkbalaji
jkbalaji
2 posts
Aug 27, 2017 - 6:31 AM

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the clarification. Another query. Can't I book a Swiss Travel Pass online via SBB website. When I try to book, it tells me that the pass will be delivered to me by post.

Regards, JK

rockoyster
rockoyster
910 posts
top member
Aug 27, 2017 - 6:40 AM in reply to jkbalaji

Hi JK,

Once you fill in your address details you will be offered an on-line delivery option. You should then receive a PDF via email within a few days. You can print this at home. Best to print a few copies so you have backup in case you lose one.

Lucas
Lucas
3339 posts
expert &
Aug 27, 2017 - 7:59 AM in reply to jkbalaji

Hi JK, yes, just as Rockoyster says you can do the online delivery option. The SBB website is the first option on my link above to buy your Swiss Half Fare Card.

Lucas

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1176 posts
top member
Aug 28, 2017 - 5:12 AM in reply to jkbalaji

>> can the Half Fare card be used for train journeys to Lichtenstein as well?

No, it can't be used for train journeys beyond the Swiss border, only for the PostAuto bus routes shown as yellow lines on the attached screen shot.

International trains coming from Switzerland don't stop at any stations in Liechtenstein in any case. Trains that do stop in Liechtenstein are regional trains run by the ÖBB (Austrian Railways), and ÖBB fares apply.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Aug 28, 2017 - 5:14 AM by Alpenrose666
Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
3339 posts
expert &
Aug 28, 2017 - 6:49 AM in reply to Alpenrose666

Yes, that's true, but you will get a partial discount on the train to Liechtenstein from Zurich (it's just a discount on the Swiss portion of the trip as far as Sargans).

But you can't use the Swiss Half Fare Card on trips within Liechtenstein that aren't on a Postbus.

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017