15 days in Switzerland-late November advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2018 at 16:00:13 #817366

Dear gurus, my family and I will be going to Swiss from 28/11 – 12/12/18 (14nights) below is the itinerary,

I list the places that we can go.

Zurich (suggest 2N. Bearing in mind we touch down 1225hrs.)

Bahnhofstrasse, right outside Zurich Main Train Station

>> luxury and designer stores and popular retail stores. Window shopping. A must to go J

Recommended to find Airbnb in the Rathaus area, Old Town of Zurich, where we will be likely to spend most of the time there. Halal kebab shop on the Rathausbrucke nearby

Lake Zurich (Zurichsee)

>> picturesque. A good way to explore Lake Zurich is by boat.

Old Town (Altstadt)

>> check out Muhlesteg Footbridge (love locks).

Lindenhof

>> superb views of Old Town, the Great Minster and the Limmat River. Picnic in Swiss J. Closest tram station is Rennweg.

Uetliberg Mountain

>> train to walk up to the top. By foot will take about 30min to 1 hour.

Zurich Limmatquai

>> quirky murals and dozens of tiny antique shops, florists and vintage clothing store.

Rapperswil, a lakeside old town which is home to Schloss Rapperswill

>> 7min walk through Rapperswil and we will be at the base of the hill. Flight stairs up to the top[ and stunning views of snow-topped roofs with backdrop of Swiss mountains.

Schaffhausen, Rhine Falls

>> train ride about 1 hour

Lucerne (suggest 3N)

Kapellbrucke and Spreuerbrucke (Chapel Bridge)

>> 17th century wooden bridge

Old Town of Lucerne, 5-7 min walk from Lucerne Train station

Mount Rigi, Queen of the Mountains

>> surrounded by 3 lakes, Lazke Lucerne, Lake Zug and Lake Lauerz. By boat/bus to Weggis (40mins) (right infront of the train station) – (walked up a steep path to the station (15mins) Cable car to Rigi Kaltbad (10mins) – Red cog railway to Rigi Kulum (Vitnau Line) (12 min). All covered under Swiss Travel Pass. Time table for Vitnau Line, Goldau Line and cable car can be found here.

Mount Pilatus

Lion Monument, Denkmalstrasse 4,6002

>> craved from limestone cliff.

Bucherer, Schwanenplatz 5. 6002 Lucerne

>> Rolex, Victorinox, TAGHeuer J

Trubschachen

>> Kambly biscuits factory. “Make your own biscuit” programme for children every Wednesday and Saturday afternoon from 1420-1620 @ CHF 5 per child. Departs from Lucerne and Berne train.

Interlaken (6N. Bearing in mind 1 day to Bern and 1 day to Geneva)

Recommended to choose Airbnb near Interlaken West Station or in Unterseen neighbourhood a 5-7 minute walk away. Plenty of halal eateries selling Turkish, India and Kashmiri food near Interlaken West Station.

Mount Titlis, Titlis Cliff Walk

>> highest elevation suspension in Europe.

Sphnix Observatory Jungfraujoch

With Swiss Travel pass, both locations (Titlis and Jungfraujoch), revolving cable car ride up to the top of Mount Titlis and tickets up to Jungfraujoch at 50% each

Breath-taking boat ride with views of Lake Brienz and Lake Thun (winter will be closed)

Train ride to Gruyeres

>> Maison Cailier Chocolate factory and La Maison du Gruyere Cheese factory.

Montreaux

>> picturesque lakeside resort town on Swiss Riviera. Can also check out Chillon castle and Freddie Mercury.

Grindelwald

>> first cliff walk. Cable car from Grindelwald to Grindelwald First.

Bern [noted it will be a day trip to Bern. Just FYI]

Recommended to stay near the Waisenhausplatz, Old Town of Bern, a halal restaurant Shalimar nearby.

Bern Mosque, Masjid-ul-Qghair at Wylerstrasse 115 Wylerstrasse, Bern, Switserland

Bern Iconic Clock called Zytglogge located in Old Town of Bern

Geneva [noted it will be a day trip to Geneva]

Broken chair at UN

Jet d’Eau

>> large fountain, one of the city’s most famous landmark. Best spots for photos are at Pont du Mont-Blanc and Promenade du Lac

Patek Phillipe Museum

Zermatt (2N) – Car free city

Matterhorn

Klein Mattherhorn

>> Peak of the Pennine Alps overlooking Zermatt on Swiss canton of Valais

Gornergrat

>> recommended to visit as the mountain panorama and glorious view of the Matterhorn are unforgettable.

Mattherhorn Glacier Paradise

>> highest cable car station in Europe. The views of the highest mountains in Italy, France and Switzerland are breathtaking.

Village Tour Zermatt

5-Seenweg

>> Five lakes walk. Matterhorn reflected in the lake.

Gorner Gorge

>> exceptional natural beauty. Wooden walkways leading between the towering cliffs provide a dramatic insight into power of nature

Matterhorn, Gornergrat and Matterhorn Glacier Paradise can be done together based on the website. Please click here.

Chur (1N)

Martinskirche (St Martin’s Church)

>> iconic symbol of the city.

Chur Brambruesch

>> cable car directly up to the high plateau of Brambruesch

Arcas Square

>> point of interest and landmark

Old Town Chur

>> old medieval town which hasn’t changed in centuries. Preserved old building

Question is, do I stay in both ,zurich and Lucerne? Suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 July 2018 at 6:06:33 #891919

Hello,

You have many interesting places and activities listed here. Have you considered how you would place them in chronological order ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 8:16:18 #891920

Hi Muhd and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would stay in Zurich with your current plans there yes. It seems like a good itinerary staying in Zurich, Lucerne and Interlaken. It looks to fit your purposes.

For more information on each town look at the following links:
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/lucerne
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/zurich
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/interlaken

The links have details on the town, what to do nearby and where to stay.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips out between towns and mountains: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

To see exactly what is and is not covered (and by how much %) by the Swiss Travel Pass look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

It would be more convenient to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online. It can be emailed to you and printed at home (saving you time at the airport and giving you a copy to print out again in case you lose your pass).
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

I wouldn’t make a day trip to Montreux from Interlaken, but rather do that visit on your way to Zermatt.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 July 2018 at 14:37:02 #891921

I like Lucas’s suggestion to visit Montreux on your way to Zermatt. You can’t check in too early anyway, so you might as well spend more time to get there. As a bonus you’ll travel on the Golden Pass line. I’d recommend to ship your luggage to Zermatt to you can travel light: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 20:52:27 #891922

Hi, thanks for the reply. may i ask why is it not recommended to go to geneva via interlaken. I had the intention of doing so that i may get the scenic ride from the golden pass route. If i were to travel from zermatt to geneva, would i not be in a hurry? thanks in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 20:55:04 #891923

also, to get to zermatt, do i have to pass by montreux coming from interlaken. Correct me if im wrong cause i think there is a direct train from interlaken to zermatt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 21:49:33 #891924

hi guys, latest update

28/11 – 02/12 (4nights) will base in lucerne. (zurich has no airbnb within budget)

02/12 – 09/12 (7nights) Interlaken

09/12 – 11/12 (2nights) zermatt

11/12 – 12/12 chur (1night) and flight back from zurich airport.

does this look ok? or should i cut a night in Interlaken and slot it in Zermatt?

Hope to hear from you guys again. thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2018 at 7:37:56 #891925

Hi Muhd,

You can find train options between towns using my timetable link on my first reply. There are no direct trains from Interlaken to Zermatt, but the fastest route does not go via Montreux either. Going via Montreux is nice as you incorporate part of the Golden Pass route (and it is a nice town to explore on Lake Geneva as well). The Golden Pass route ends in Montreux, so no need to go all the way to Geneva (unless there is something there you want to see of course).

https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/montreux

Your itinerary looks good. Have a look through our Zermatt activity page for an idea of what to do there and if you think you’d like a 3rd night there: https://www.myswissalp s.com/zermatt

Do you have plans for each day you have in Interlaken already? If you already have planned each day there with something you want to do then I’d leave your itinerary as is.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2018 at 19:53:29 #891926

thanks lucas, I did try a search from Interlaken west to Zermatt, there isn’t a direct train, but it passes Spiez before getting to Zermatt. As for the golden pass, will be enjoying the train to Montreux, not Geneva actually. And will have a day trip around montreux area. thanks for the advise.

• The thread ‘15 days in Switzerland-late November advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.