Swiss 4 day pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2012 at 15:52:21 #805574

Hey!

Together with my early 50s parents, I’m planning to visit Switzerland next 19th September for four days, possibly in Lucerne, to avoid the hassel to pack and unpack, and do day trips from there. We will arrive by train from Italy and depart back to Italy. I have a few questions, which I need some clarification

1. What is the normal weather during that period of time?
    2. I speak fluently in Italian and English, but don’t know French and German, will that create some diffiulties?
    3. I was planning to ride the Bernina express from Tirano to Chur and then a normal train from Chur to Lucerne. Does the swiss 4 day pass, includes all the routes ? – is it possible to buy the swiss 4 day pass from Tirano or do I need it beforehand? – i was made aware that I need to reserve the seats, shall I do that from now?
    4. On returning, I was planning to ride a train from lucerne to locrano and then ride the Centovalli train, till arriving to Domodossola, is that included in the swiss pass, and do I need to reserve the seats from now?
    5. I was thinking about this itinerary;
    20th Sep – rhinefalls and Zurich
    21st Sep – montreux and Geneve
    22nd Sep – Lucerne and bern?

Will that be possible considering our restricted time? Or maybe, can you suggest an interesting itinerary?

We are not so much into outdoor activities and considering possible rainy weather, till now we are eliminating cable cars in mountains (even due to respiratory problems).

I have always been impressed by Switzerland, and finally I am looking foward for next September.

Looking foward for your reply, Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 August 2012 at 5:32:34 #837043

Welcome, grazv. Weather conditions can vary. It can be warm and sunny in September, but there are no guarantees. Rain and lower temperatures are possible as well, so you can best prepare for all kinds of weather. Speaking English is no problem.

As for your itinerary: the Swiss Pass covers the entire Bernina Express and the Centovalli train. You can download a validity map from the Swiss Pass page for details. Reservations should indeed be made for the Bernina Express; not for the Centovalli line. Since you’re traveling in September, you should definitely buy the 2 for 1 deal on the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass.

Your remaining days will be full, but doable. Do mind that traveling times to Montreux and Geneva are rather long. If you think it’s too much, you can easily spend an extra day near Lucerne or, alternatively, visit the beautiful Interlaken/Jungfrau region. You can best consult the timetable to plan your trips and find out about traveling times and connections. If weather is still good, you could visit the Uetliberg in Zurich (a nice viewing point at relatively low altitude) and maybe Kleine Scheidegg from Interlaken. Museums and boat trips on the lakes of Zurich, Lucerne, Brienz and Thun can also be part of your itinerary.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2012 at 15:55:57 #837044

Thanks for your reply, still not decided with regards to swiss pass, as we are spending 5 days (4 nights), I think that the 2 for one is a great offer, and buy the return tickets separately. I’m still undecided as to our itinerary. Switzerland has so much to offer and 5 days is quite a few time. I have been searching and searching and I guess it’s worth to spend a day exploring Jungfrau, Schilthorn or Mount Titlis, but I am afraid since unfortunately I suffer from asthma. Besides, we are not used to high altitudes.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 August 2012 at 3:02:25 #837045

If your trip lasts 5 days, you can instead use the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. That will give you 4 days of free traveling plus one day of discounted traveling somewhere in between. This way, the Swiss legs of your inbound and outbound trips on the first and last day will be fully covered.

As far as I know, asthma doesn’t have to be a problem for visiting mountains tops, where the air is very clean. These medical recommendations for Jungfraujoch travelers may help you out.

• The thread ‘Swiss 4 day pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.