Swiss 5 days plan (14 – 18 June): Itinery

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2012 at 2:25:30 #805357

Hi,
    As a UK resident , I am planning to visit this beautiful nation with my family (Wife and 4 year old son). This site looks really amazing with plethora of information.

I have booked four nights at a hotel near Zurich HB station. I will be arriving on 14 th Morning at Zurich airport and have a return flight on 18th night. Our priority is to observe best of scenic places in swiss.

I wish to do the following:
    1.) Take the Zurich City tour for attractions like Grossmunster Church, Limmat River , Zurichsee
    Can we take a city tour (Hop on Hop) which includes above or better attractions.

2.) Travel to Engelberg (Mt Titlis). If time permits cover Lucerne on the way. Come back to Zurich HB

3.) Travel to Mt Jungfrau. Not sure which route (Best route) to take and what activities can be done in detail there. Come back to Zurich hotel

4.) Travel to Geneva and visit attractions like United Nation Building, Flower Clock, The Jet D’au. Take the City tour if available. Come back to Zurich HB.

5.) Visit Bern for Clock Tower, Parliament House and Rhine falls and depart peacefully

Since I have lot of travelling to do, I wish to buy the Swiss Four Day pass and pay for one of the last or the first day.
    Will it be cheaper and will I be getting exact dates for the Swiss pass if I buy that at the Zurich airport. ? Where do i get the better deal for francs for pounds?

Any suggestions in the itinary is welcome.

Regards,
    D

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2012 at 13:40:42 #836385

Hello,
    I am looking for better suggestion on the itinerary based on the earliest convenience. I am ready to leave out museums etc. There are so many options with confusion. If Titlis and Mt Jungfrau are similar then , i can leave one.
    Want to make most of the trip but not very hectic

Thanking in advance

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2012 at 18:01:22 #836386

Hi,
    Can somebody reply to this please??
    Here is my modified itinerary. Arrival at Zurich Airport at 9: AM on 14th. If better option , then buy the swiss pass (4 Day for two adults) at the Airport for the days 14-17 June.

Day 1: Go To Lucerne for Lion Momument, Chapel Bridge. Visit Berne for Parliament building and clock tower. Depart to Zurich HB
    Day 2: Visit Mt Titlis via Engelberg and back to Zurich HB
    Day 3: Visit Mt Jungfrau. Take the Jungfrau expresss from Wengen , Lauterbraunen and return via Grindewald. Do I have to book the Jungfrau reservation now. Can Activated Swiss Pass be shown at the Lauterbraunen station and 25% discount can be availed on Jungfrau express. Return to Zurich. I have reserved seats on Golden Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne. Is return reservation required as well based on experience ?
    Day 4: Travel to Geneva. If possible take the City Tour for attractions as mentioned below and return to Zurich
    Day 5: Take the Combo tour for Zurich City and Rhine Falls. Any recommendations for the City tour starting near Zurich HB? Depart from Zurich Airport at 8:00 pm

Can I get the feedback on this please?

REgards,
    d

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 June 2012 at 4:29:05 #836387

Hi D, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Please be patient. We’ll answer all posts but it may take a little time. I would personally not choose to visit two towns on the day of arrival. If you just go to Bern, you can visit Lucerne on day 2 or 3 as you’ll need to switch trains there anyway. Especially on day 2 you’ll have plenty of time to do so. A 4-day Swiss Saver Pass for day 1 to 4 would indeed be a good idea. I assume you don’t need it on day 5 as you’re planning to book an all inclusive tour?

The Jungfrau trip does not need to be booked in advance. You’ll travel for free up to Wengen. The additional discounted ticket can be purchased at any rail station including Zurich. You don’t need to book seats for the return trip from Interlaken to Lucerne. There are lots of guided tours in Geneva. Just check geneve-tourisme.ch.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2012 at 6:18:47 #836388

Hi Arno,
    Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your advice to combine Mt Titlis with Lucerne on Day2.
    I also agree that exploring two away towns on Day 1 would be hectic
    On Day 1, can i combine Berne with something else like an excursion etc, scenic train route, Or a choc factory etc? I am not interested in Art Museums , theatres etc. Since I will be taking Swiss 4 Day Saver Pass, I have feeling that it will be uner-utilised.
    Regards,
    D

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 June 2012 at 7:10:10 #836389

Hi D,

Just a few ideas: from Bern, you could take the funicular up to Gurten (free to the valley station, the funicular is discounted). Or, instead of the InterCity trains back to Zurich, take the local train across the scenic Emmen valley via Langnau and Schüpfheim. It’s free with your Swiss Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2012 at 13:48:01 #836390

1.) Day 1: Arrive at Zurich Airport at 9:00 AM local time. Buy the Swiss Saver Pass – 4 Days at that place.
    Start for Lucerne + Mt Rigi and return
    2.) Travel to Wengen from Zurich. If time permits go to Jungfrau. Or go to Klein Scheidigg and return to Grindelwald.
    From there go back to Zurich
    3.) Bern/Geneva. Two hours City exploration at either of them. Train to Geneva takes around 2.40 hours from Zurich.
    4.) St Moritz. Its 3.2 hours each way from Zurich HB. So just going to there to feel the town and explore for couple of hours there and return. I am doing only one of the below options
    Muottas Muragl
    5.) Take a Local city tour of Zurich City + Rhine Falls / OR Explore the Zurich City on my own and Rhine Falls. Reach to Zurich Airport at 5:30

Since Swissrailways.com is not available now, can you please suggest, if buying swiss saver pass (4 days) at Zurich Airport is a good idea.
    I mean I hope there is not a long time lost in buying the pass at the Airport and Validating it.
    If I want to include 1- 4 in the Swiss pass, what is the economical way to travel the last day?
    We are two adults and one child (4 year).

Thanks in advance

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 June 2012 at 13:20:09 #836391

Hello cfawarrier! First of all, STC is back online again, so you can fill out your data in the upper right corner of the Swiss Pass page and order online. A ZurichCard would be a perfect solution for day 5.

• The thread ‘Swiss 5 days plan (14 – 18 June): Itinery’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.