Switzerland 8 days on a budget near Lauterbrunnen

• LazerMa
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 June 2017 at 13:56:37 #812166

My wife will be in the area between Aug 1 – 9. Arriving via Zurich airport, Lauterbrunnen (day 1-4), Luzern (day 5-8), leaving on the 9th. Don’t want to spend too much on trains since they are expensive.

Plan: buy one way train tickets to Luzern from the airport. Buy the 4 day Regional-Pass Bernese-Oberland to continue the train ride to Lauterbrunnen. Spend the 4 days with combination scenic train rides and hiking in the region. Any suggestions? I am 63 and my wife is 56 ( we can take easy and moderate hikes).

Leave Lauterbrunnen on day 5 to Luzern. What is the cheapest way by train since the regional pass has expired? Side trip to explore Zurich in a day or so. Spend time mostly in Luzern with short train rides and hiking. Any suggestions?

Leave Luzern for Zurich on day 9 taking the train.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 June 2017 at 8:06:26 #864702

Hi LazerMa, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think the combination of scenic train rides and hiking is excellent to explore the region. The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland covers nearly everything so there’s no need to limit yourselves. You could take the same approach in Luzern with a 3- or 4-day Tell-Pass: myswissalps.com/ tellpass.

Since you’re on a budget it might be useful to do the math as explained here. Be sure to take into account the Swiss Half Fare Card as well. Even though it is less convenient as you need to buy tickets for each trip, it could be a cheaper option than two separate passes. It depends on your exact plans though.

These pages are useful too:

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    8 June 2017 at 9:28:34 #864703

Hi,

You can save a lot of money by staying in a holiday apartment rather than a hotel. There are apartments of every standard and you should be able to save as much as 50 percent on hotel accommodation if you do you’re homework.

Have fun

Alan

LazerMa
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 June 2017 at 16:25:33 #864704

Thanks Arno and AlanPrice.

Since I have already reserved my accommodations for Luzern and Lauterbrunnen, holiday apartment is not an option anymore.

I am considering the Swiss Half Fare Card after making all my calculations based on the Excel sheet from the site.

Day 1: Arrive Zurich airport, take train to Lauterbrunnen.

Day 2: Lauterbrunnen to Wengen by train, cable car to Mannlichen, hike to Kleine Scheidegg, train to Lauterbrunnen.

Day 3: Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald by train, cable car to First, hike to Gross Scheidegg, bus to Grindelwald, train to Lauterbrunnen.

Day 4: Lauterbrunnen to Murren by train, funicular to Allmendubul, hike to Murren, train to Lauterbrunnen.

Day 5: Lauterbrunnen to Luzern by train. (scenic view?)

Day 6: Luzern to Zurich city center to explore.

Day 7: Luzern to Pilatus Kulm to explore.

Day 8: Luzern to relax.

Day 9: Luzern to Zurich airport by train.

What do you think?

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    9 June 2017 at 20:28:56 #864705

Hi Lazerma,

That’s a fantastic itinerary! The only suggestion I’d make would be to extend your walk from First and visit Bachalpsee before going to Grosse Scheidegg. This will make for a longer day but the lake is very pretty. All in all, first rate.

Alan

• The thread ‘Switzerland 8 days on a budget near Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.