Swiss Travel Pass questions & reservations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 11:16:36 #817346

HI All,

Me and my wife from India are planning a 15 day Europe tour out of which 8 days are in Switzerland. Our priority is to see most scenic places, cute villages, do hiking, take lot of pictures and memories back. We are in early 30s. So, if the trip gets a bit hectic, that’s fine.

Below is our itinerary:

• 25th August – Land in Geneva from Nice, France at 9 AM and then head to Montreux. Stay already booked. Spend time on Geneva/Montreux/Vevey/Lausanne.

• 26th August – Head to Zermatt from Montreux (day long excursion)

• 27th August – Head to Interlaken from Montreux early morning and spend rest of the day in Interlaken/boat tour on both lakes.

• 28th August – Interlaken to Jungfrau and back

• 29th August – Interlaken/outdoor activities/Harder Kulm

• 30th August – Travel to Lucerne

• 31st August – Lucerne to Mt. Titlis or Mt. Rigi or mt. Pilatus (day long excursion)

• 1st Sept. – Lucerne to Zurich (late evening)

• 2nd Sept – Fly back to India

Questions:

1. I am buying 8 days unlimited swiss travel pass as we want to explore lakes by boats, take local transport on some day or take trains for day long excursions or take some panoramic trains. Can I make some changes to above itinerary and go for 4 days swiss travel pass option or I should go ahead with 8 days option?

2. Should I buy swiss travel pass from India or buy it at Geneva Airportonce I land?

3. 26th August – Montreux to Zermatt (day long excursion)

3a. Which train to take for this travel – Is it some scenic train I have to take or general intercity train?

3b. Do I need to reserve seats for this journey? I think Montreux to Zermatt will be covered in swiss pass.

3c. What all options can I cover in one day in Zermatt – Klein Matterhornand Gornegrat/ in one day is possible but how do I commute between Zermatt and Matterhorn and Gornegrat?

3d. I want to experience little bit of Glacier Express as well. Can I do journey from Zermatt to Brig and Brig to Andermatt and then back to Zermatt and then back to Montreux in one day along with Gornegrat and Matterhorn?

3e. Do I need to reserve seats for Glacier Express and if yes, can someone reply with a link? What if I can’t reserve a seat if the train is fully booked? Do they still allow to board the train?

4. 27th August – Montreux to Interlaken

4a. Where ti stay – Interlaken or Murren or Wengen or Grindelwald or Lauterbrunner?

4b. I will have to take GoldenPass line for this journey. So, should I reserve seats? If yes, which is the site for the same?

5. 28th August – Interlaken to Jungfrau (day long excursion)

5a. I know that forum members have said that buy tickets from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfrau only if the weather is good, which I will check at Interlaken OST. But do I need to reserve seats for the train between kleine Scheidegg to Jungrau? If yes, what is the website?

5b. While taking the train from kleine Scheidegg to Jungfrau, can I stop at Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen to see these villages? If yes, how much time I should spend in here as I heard it is best to reach top of Jungfrau early as in the afternoon, clouds may disturb the views.

5c. By when can I be back to Interlaken?

6. 30th August – Interlaken to Lucerne

6a. Am I supposed to take GoldenPass train for this journey? If yes, do I need to reserve seats? What is the website for reserving seats?

7. 31st August – Lucerne to Mt Titlis

7a. I think I am supposed to catch the train from Lucerne to Engelbergto Mt. Titlis. If yes, do I need to reserve seats? Website?

7b. We definitely want to cover Mt. Titlis. But can we cover Mt. Ragi or Mt. Pilatus on this day? Which one is recommended apart from Titlis?

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass questions & reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.