Swiss and euro rail pass suggestion for 5 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2017 at 0:20:00 #811896

Hi,

we are a couple travelling from Dubai to switzerland (5 days)and then to Paris (3 days) from zurich. Kindly suggest me for following:

1) since i will be staying in switzerland for 5 days, do i need to buy 8 days swiss pass or i can buy 4 days swiss pass plus one day swiss pass separately.

2) what wuld be more cheaper if i buy half ticket pass first and then two 4 days plus one day euro pass using 50% discount.

3) i will be travelling from zurich to paris. Does swiss pass/half ticket pass give discount on this rail route ticket as well? What would be cheaper if i buy online or on the spot from the ticket counter? Is there any chances that the railway seats are fully booked

4) i will not be travelling outside paris during my stay in paris. Which railyway pass should i buy and from where to get more discount?

5) looking at my itinerary, please suggest if i should buy euro pass or swiss pass & paris pass separately.

thanks

puneet

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 May 2017 at 12:37:46 #863597

Welcome to MySwissAlps Puneet!

1) You do not need a SwissPass (for residents only), but you may need a Swiss Travel Pass. There is no one day version of that pass. You can buy a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass and regular tickets for one more day, or an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass if you have planned extensive traveling on the 5th day. You will need to do the math as explained here to be sure about the cheapest option.

2) Please see 1), you can do the math and include the Swiss Half Fare Card in your calculations too. There is no pass called “euro pass” that I know about. There are Eurail Passes but they are mostly worth it if you travel a lot in multiple countries.

3) Buying online is cheaper. You will only need a ticket from the Swiss border (Basel). The rest of the trip is covered (or discounted) by the other pass. Please see myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france.

4) I don’t know about Paris, sorry. There is a Paris Pass, but whether that’s the best option for you I don’t know.

5) Please see 1) and 2).

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2017 at 15:11:22 #863598

Hi Arno,

thanks for your reply!

one thing, do we need to buy seperate half fare card for both or one swiss half fare card card can be used to buy discounted price tickets for both the persons.

regards

puneet

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 May 2017 at 15:52:26 #863599

You’re welcome Puneet! The Swiss Half Fare Card is a personal document. You can not buy discounted tickets for someone else, so each traveler needs one.

• The thread ‘Swiss and euro rail pass suggestion for 5 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.