Swiss ATM withdrawal charges for non-customers

• Stuart0742
    Participant
    3 posts
    25 June 2022 at 12:50:58 #827594

Hi

I have read plenty about various credit/debit cards and the charges they make, etc and also the tip of always completing a card transaction in the local currency. I am happy with this.

So just 2 questions

1. Do Swiss ATM’s make a charge at the point of withdrawing cash

2. If they do are some banks/networks better than others

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6376 posts
    25 June 2022 at 14:55:52 #943578

Hi Stuart0742,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

1. I think the fees charged for withdrawals in foreign countries depends on your bank. So you should check with your card provider.

2. A few of our members used WISE debit card for withdrawals. You can check out the discussion here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/avoid-banking-fees-when-paying-in-swiss-francs

You can find more practical information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfranc

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Stuart0742
    Participant
    3 posts
    25 June 2022 at 15:15:45 #943579

Hi Anna, thank you for your reply, my concern is not about my card/bank, I have this sorted.

Whilst in other countries mainly Spain the local bank/network make a charge for using their ATM if you are not a customer.

This may not be an issue in Switzerland, I just thought I would check

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2022 at 15:35:43 #943580

Hi Stuart0742,

I don’t have a Swiss bank account and haven’t noticed this yet. Any extra’s for ATM withdrawals in Switzerland were always charged by my own bank. I do know examples of ATMs that have a lower maximum amount for withdrawals for non-customers. But I never need that much cash so it has never been a problem.

Stuart0742
    Participant
    3 posts
    25 June 2022 at 15:48:15 #943581

In some countries the “Foreign” bank make a charge at source, usually a flat fee of a few Euros

I don’t see this as an issue and am looking forward to flying to Geneva on Tues then rail to Interlaken.

• The thread ‘Swiss ATM withdrawal charges for non-customers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.