Swiss Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2011 at 2:30:27 #804288

Hi,
    My family and I are travelling to Switzerland early June. We will arrive in Zurich airport and stay in Lauterbrunnen. My question is
    1) our inbound trip is Zurich to Lauterbrunnen and outbound trip is Lauterbrunnen to Geneva via the Goldenpass route (ie Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken to Zweisimmen to Montreux to Geneva) which is not the shortest and direct route. Will the swiss travel card cover both the inbound and outbound trips?
    2) The one-way fare for Interlaken to Zweisimmen and Zweisimmen to Montreux, is quoted as 25CHF and 30CHF resp. Whereas Interlaken to Montreux is 49CHF from the Goldenpass website. Does that mean if I get the 49CHF ticket, I can’t leave the Zweisimmen station and has to take the next connecting train to Montreux?
    3) For the seat selection, is the left seat has a more scenic view than the right seat in the direction I travelling?
    Thanks
    1stTime

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 May 2011 at 4:47:13 #832812

Hello 1stTime,

1) The Golden Pass route is actually the shortest route in your case (not the quickest), so you can use your Swiss Card for that trip.
    2) A direct ticket allows you to get off the train at any station along the route, just like tickets for separate legs.
    3) I don’t know if there’s a significant difference. Perhaps someone else does. The very best seats are the ones in the front of the train (the VIP-seats).

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2011 at 21:32:17 #832813

Hi Arno,
    Thanks for your quick reply.

Can I also check the following:

1. I will reach the Geneve station Platform3 on 6Jun 13:24 and intend to take TGV 6572 at 13:41 to Paris. Is it possible to arrive at the TGV platform in time to catch the TGV train? or should I purchase the TGV ticket when I reach the station?

2. Why do I always get an error return when I try to get the rail fare from the time table in this forum? is it that I should retrieve the fare from other sites?

Thanks

1stTime

Annika
    7103 posts
    13 May 2011 at 5:33:47 #832814

Hello 1stTime. 15 minutes should be enough to catch your TGV train. You should reserve seats in the TGV train in advance, so I wouldn’t recommend to buy your tickets on the spot. If you want to have more time, you could choose the earlier connection with a Golden Pass train on the leg Zweisimmen-Montreux (leaving from Zweisimmen at 08.26am). This will get you in Geneva at 11.24am. That’s early of course, but it’s up to you. There are several connections in between too, but regular trains are involved here and not the special Golden Pass carriages.

There seem to have been some technical error with the official SBB timetable the last days. When requesting a price, the timetable returns an error. However, if you hit the ‘back’ button of the browser and try again, it does work. I hope that helps!

• The thread ‘Swiss Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.