Swiss Card- airport return same as outbound?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2011 at 8:15:48 #804220

Be forewarned- I may be way off on my thought process here…:-)

My wife and I are spending two weeks in Switzerland (flying into Zurich) and plan to spend most of our time in the Bernese Oberland region. We’re thinking about spending a few nights in Northern Italy (Como) also, and then the rest of our time in Wengen.

Would it make sense ( or is it even possible) to purchase a swiss card, and then have our outbound free trip from airport be to Chiasso or another border city that is closer to Como? Thus starting our trip in Italy so that we save on train fares?

Also, is it possible to have the return trip on the swiss card be from a different location than the outbound. Say, could the outbound be to Chiasso and the Inbound back to zurich be from Wengen?

Is there a better way to do this?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Drew

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 April 2011 at 11:47:46 #832584

Hi Drew, and welcome! Yes, that’s possible. The only limitations for the Swiss Card are that you have to start your inbound trip from an airport or border station, and end your outbound trip at an airport or border station as well. It doesn’t matter which destination in Switzerland you choose for your free round trip, and the inbound trip doesn’t have to be the same as the outbound trip. So you could use your free inbound trip for the Swiss leg to Como (that is, Zurich Airport – Chiasso), profit from the 50% reduction once you enter Switzerland again after your stay in Como (the reduction is valid from Chiasso onwards), and use the free outbound trip for your way back from Wengen to Zurich Airport.

Does that clear things up? Best regards,

• The thread ‘Swiss Card- airport return same as outbound?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.